• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best-soundin planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
as much as i love to hear a radial (any radial)...

...after crewing the F16's for a few years in the Air Guard, theres still something about being not more than a few hundred yards off the departure end and feeling (note; i did not say hearing) them do a full A/B with a little low transition mixed in. and i wont even talk about what 6 of em doing them all in sequence will do to your brain for the rest of the night :eek:

MetroSheriff said:
North American T-28 is pretty sweet...

The wright 1820's make a great sound, not only cause they're the biggest 9-cylinder motors, but on top of that they're geared. The T-28 sounds great, but you gotta listen to an Albatros taking off! You can feel the thumping in your bones. Super DC-3 sounds great too... :cool:
And you ever heard the old sikorsky s-58 choppers at full throttle? That is amazing!!!

All geared engines sound good (I agree the golden eagle is cool soundin). I think it's because the prop and engine make 2 different sounds and making it seem like 2 different planes flyin in formation.

F-4 Phantom II

The highlight of my life was flying "Ol' Double Ugly." When I was at the Guard Base and not flying a particular "go" I'd often go outside to feel the burners, thank you Wingnutt, light up and listen to that glorious noise as they quickly became a dot on the horizon. Somewhat nerdish, but we can all appreciate that.

Phantoms Phorever

L-1011 with the 50,000 lb engines, R-2800, 1830 Pratt or for that matter just about all round engines.

No-Jet rule

One time a Blackbird flew over Denver. They say it put out a sonic boom that day. I don't remember that; I do remember that loud noise from the engines!

I always liked the quiet, low rumble of C-5s and C-17s, notwithstanding that C-17s are cool airplanes anyway!

...and im with the other guy, something about that Huey doin its thing gives me goosebumps also.

about the only military aircraft i dont appreciate hearing is them dang tweety birds, those things whistle too dang loud!

nosewheel said:
L-1011 with the 50,000 lb engines, R-2800, 1830 Pratt or for that matter just about all round engines.

A couple of years back when i was in college, broke and with little to do, i would take my friends out at nite to the approach end at hollywood intl airport. We were running like bats outta hell to the approach end from the parking lot, which was about 250 yards away, to meet an oncoming plane. We were all sorta inebriated that they were still running and didn't notice the plane zoomed right over their heads. 2 screamed and fell to the ground. It was an L-1011, Delta. Ah, unforgetable. :D

They stopped using them here about a year ago. Best thing we got now is the fedex DC-10.

L-1011

Delta had the smaller engine on there 1011's The RB211-524B-02 puts out BIG THRUST ( about 50,000 lbs )and kicks ass.Now thats a good sound.

how about the ones from Canada? It's that airline with the blue star on the tail. I forgot the name. They sometimes have tristars operating outta here, but for the most part, they use big airbuses.

Speaking of which, the fedex A300 have a nice sound on the ground, nice whistle sound - are those R&R's?
Takeoff is like any other plane though.

And I would still like to know from you MU-2 drivers, why does the MU-2 put out that strange howling noise when on the ground? The turbo commandrer also did that but to a lesser degree.

C-185 on floats with a two-blader getting on the step coming off a mountain lake early morning in the mountains. Nothing will beat that...........shezzzzz time for vacation.

Latest resources

Back