Best Programs out there.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

I'm currently a Junior at a University and finishing up my degree totally opposite from anything to do with Aviation. I want to get into the airline industry and become a pilot but currently do not have money to take lessons. Upon graduation which with luck will happen in a year and a half, I want to go to the best place possible to get my training and then take a job with as a flight instructor if possible. I just want some input on peoples thoughts as to the best programs out there, best programs for the price, and programs to stay away from. Any input will be great but lets please keep it to the point and not make it a bash tread. I'll look into what you write and dont need someones oppinions to be taken personal. Thank you

Your best bet is probably the FBO nearest to your parents house, where you can live rent free. Prices change monthly. When I was going thru training a couple years ago ATPS was charging 26K for their course, now its 38K. I'm a reservist, so I went to a local flight school where I could use my benefits and save money.

I suggest placing your energy into what your doing until it gets closer to you flying for the same reason as listed above....this is a volitile industry with change all the time, your research now will be futile in a few years. Save your energy and appliy yourself to school. Ask us again in 12 months

Both moxi an Viper have good points. Things are always changing. Since you will already have a degree...I recommend going to that Local FBO (make darn sure it is by your parents house!!!), and start knocking out ratings. Find an FBO that has good prices, yet also maintains their aircraft in a way that prevents them from being broken all the time!!...I'd pay 5-10 bucks an hour more for flight time if that meant that the airplane wouldn't be broken 1/2 hour before your lesson!!

Focus your time...fly 3 times a week and study 5-6 days a week...That will get you done the fastest (Unless you are Chuck Yeager)...trust me. Have a job that allows the flexability for both morning and evening flying (that way if there is fog or weather...you have twice the chance to fly)...and remember that your "job" is 2nd, but unless mom and dad will fund the training, it is still essential...you're going to dump it once you're a CFI anyhow.

Stay away from "Big Name" schools (assuming you already have a degree), and ATP...in my mind, is a frickin' waste of money (Flown with many of their students and I think you can do better learning in 172's and you will be more respected in the industry). Time and Timing is everything in Aviation, so get it done fast and network like crazy.
Good Luck

and ATP...in my mind, is a frickin' waste of money (Flown with many of their students and I think you can do better learning in 172's and you will be more respected in the industry)

Sounds like a bitter response to me. Considering the majority of ATPs business is referrels from professional pilots, the second part of your statement is utter nonsense.

Latest resources

Back