Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpatialD

Fed up
I have almost 1200 hrs. TT, about half of which is SIC turbine flying freight - which I don't enjoy very much. I'm thinking hard about trying to get a regional job, even though I'm close to being ready for a 135 PIC gig. Ultimately, I think I'd like to settle into a fractional career for the long term, and it seems like the RJ would be more closely related to a fractional job than freight dogging.

Which will get me closer to my goal of a fractional jet - The 135 PIC cargo time, possibly (maybe) in a turbine, or the 121 jet job in the right seat? Neither is exactly what I want to do in the long run, but at least with the RJ I might eventually get upgraded to CA, which I could totally live with if the fractional thing didn't work out for some reason. Yeah, I know flying freight for a while is a good way to sharpen your flying skills and all that stuff, but right now I'm just trying to find out what will be most attractive to the fractional recruiters in another year or two. Thanks in advance.

One of the questions for you is:

Are you willing to move? With the new domicile program that NJ and FO have it seems as though you might have a very good chance of having to move.

SpatialD said:
I have almost 1200 hrs. TT, about half of which is SIC turbine flying freight - which I don't enjoy very much. I'm thinking hard about trying to get a regional job, even though I'm close to being ready for a 135 PIC gig. Ultimately, I think I'd like to settle into a fractional career for the long term, and it seems like the RJ would be more closely related to a fractional job than freight dogging.

Which will get me closer to my goal of a fractional jet - The 135 PIC cargo time, possibly (maybe) in a turbine, or the 121 jet job in the right seat? Neither is exactly what I want to do in the long run, but at least with the RJ I might eventually get upgraded to CA, which I could totally live with if the fractional thing didn't work out for some reason. Yeah, I know flying freight for a while is a good way to sharpen your flying skills and all that stuff, but right now I'm just trying to find out what will be most attractive to the fractional recruiters in another year or two. Thanks in advance.

We hire from both backgrounds, however, DM who does the hiring seems to have a preference for regional pilots. Seeing as she was formerly a recruiter for a commuter airline. Both work out great as a transition to our type of flying. The RJ flying is better for getting used to modern cockpits but freight flying and it's intrinsically hard IFR time is valuable too.

Most importantly always advance yourself into a place you least wouldn't mind getting stuck with. This is a game of musical chairs, when the music stops you can only hope your in a decent seat. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
I would think that the Freightdog PIC time is more valuable. Although I did both the regional and freight stuff, I am more partial and have alot more respect for the single pilot IFR part 135 people out there. The experience you'll attain is priceless. When I interviewed at my current fractional career, they didn't care at all about my regional experience, however they couldn't ask me enough about my Caravan experience flying by myself at night in the ice here in the Northeast. The cockpits are more modern in the regional jets, but they are not hard to get used to when you'd start training at FlightSafety. PIC time is everything. Good luck.

Humphreybogart said:
. When I interviewed at my current fractional career, they didn't care at all about my regional experience, however they couldn't ask me enough about my Caravan experience flying by myself at night in the ice here in the Northeast. PIC time is everything. Good luck.

Single engine PIC time in a Caravan is'nt nearly as important as gaining experience in a two person cockpit environment, not to mention the ME time and or jet time as well. Go for the regional job, get some experience there and then upgrade when your number is up. Get in while you can as seniority is everything.

Look at the hiring minimums and work to get those as quick as you can. With that said, having the ability in a 2-person cockpit is crucial. Single-engine/single-pilot 135 is probably not the best way to accrue that experience.

Once you meet the hiring minimums, start applying ASAP and start networking. A letter of recommendation tends to help speed up the hiring process.

Good luck to you.

If the pic turbine is in a multi-engine plane then take it. Multi PIC time is very essential, especially at 1200hrs. I tried to get one of my students on at the fractional I am at with 3k total time and 1500 of that pic turbine in the caravan. He only had 200hrs multi and they would not take him.

If you go to a regional they will work your tail off and pay you dirt and it will be years and years before you upgrade. If you want to come to the fractionals get some multi pic time for a couple of years then you should be good to go. Even if it's in a piston. First year at any of the fractionals is more money than any regional will pay you after even 3-4 yrs.

Thanks to all for the replies. Yeah, the ideal thing would definitely be if I could upgrade in the Shorts I'm flying now, but not with my current company. I just don't know if that'll happen in the 1200 hour neighborhood. If it does, then that's what I'll do.

If not, Tommy Boy you are saying that the multi piston PIC would be better than Jet SIC, have I got that right? I'm not really counting on the RJ upgrade because I was hoping to move to the fractionals before then. I'd have plenty of multi total time, but it would all be SIC (I have 9 hrs. multi PIC in a Duchess). Is that just totally unrealistic?

Just trying to find the shortest track to the right seat of a frac jet 'cause I'm pretty sure I'd be content to hang out there for a while and wait for an invitation to the left seat, which is my ultimate goal. Keep the replies coming, and thanks.

Latest resources

Back