• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best modern trainer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whats wrong with older 172's or Pipers? Take care of them - wash/wax and clean inside after lesson and theres nothig else to do except chage the oil. Most flight schools, CFI and their students just don't respect the aircraft thus they get run down and everyone wants to replace what doesn't need to be replaced.

The only advantage of newer is the glass but we really don't need this. Just a standard 6 pack and some pilotage skills will do fine for a PVT guy which he she can back up with a GPS after they learn the basics.

I have a few hours in the DA-20 (like 30-ish... got my IFR rating) and I was really quite impressed. Not only do they sip fuel and go fast, but they also soar up to 13,999' MSL with the power at idle with some good lift.

I've got a few more hours (like 800-ish) in the C-172R, and it's a very good airplane. I've got no complaints.

-Goose

nice pic goose, cross rules - of all the racing I did as a junior I miss the track (t-town) and cross the most.

I agree that from a training perspective, there is nothing wrong with older airplanes, and in fact, some of the skills of operating them will be lost, but from a business perspective, we're losing business to the big schools, who operate newer equipment. Also, operating costs of older aircraft make it difficult to ever upgrade them, as it does very little to raise their value, yet they still cost a bunch to maintain.

Diamonds blow Cessnas out of the water. Whoever said large people dont fit in the DA20 certainly hasnt flown a 172. Step over the landing gear, contort sideways to get in front of the seat that wont slide back far enough for "safety" reasons...UGH 172's are pieces of crap. My Geo Metro has a better interior.

Plus there is no reason to have a 4 seat aircraft when only 2 seats are being occupied 99 percent of the time. What a waste of money.

Diamonds blow Cessnas out of the water. Whoever said large people dont fit in the DA20 certainly hasnt flown a 172. Step over the landing gear, contort sideways to get in front of the seat that wont slide back far enough for "safety" reasons...UGH 172's are pieces of crap. My Geo Metro has a better interior.

Plus there is no reason to have a 4 seat aircraft when only 2 seats are being occupied 99 percent of the time. What a waste of money.

Is that why more people have done their flight training in Cessnas than any other single-engine aircraft worldwide? hmm

It's definitely no easier to gracefully maneuver yourself into a DA20 seat. (Especially if you're a larger person)

If your flight school has crappy 172's on the flight line, maybe you should inquire to the owners as to why they aren't maintaining them properly. You should always be flying in the best available equipment (new or old) because that's what you're paying for. Any aircraft, Diamond included, will look and operate badly if the owner doesn't take proper care of it.

g

Last edited:
Why are you replacing the 172's? Are they timing out structurally or you just want a more modern fleet. Just my .02 but we got by on several old 172's and a couple taildraggers from the 40's, kept rates low and always made money.

Is that why more people have done their flight training in Cessnas than any other single-engine aircraft worldwide? hmm

If Geo Metro's were the only vehicle in the world that got good gas mileage, everyone would drive Geo Metro's if they wanted good gas mileage, even though they suck. Then Honda comes out with the Civic and it blows the Metro's away with fit finish and quality, and people say "well more people drove Metro's so they must be better!". Doesnt work that way.

"Lack of a better option" does not equal "good product".

Now that we have better options, people need to realize inefficient airframes like 172's are on the way out.

As to getting in an out, Im not a large person, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how it would be hard for someone to drop their fatass into a Diamond seat. The whole damn top tilts back and there is nothing in the way when you get in. In a Cessna you have a strut, a floorboard to step over, and a seat that give you approximately 6 inches between the A pillar and the seat cushion to put your legs through. How is that more conducive to fat people than one you just drop down on like a roller coaster seat?

DA-20 and DA-40

Diamond all the way!

For the safety record, combined with obedient and predictable flight characteristics, not to mention to insurance and fuel costs, these things are the way to go. Our flight school has three of the 20's and two 40's with G1000's. One of the 40's is the XL with the G1000 integrated AP and active traffic.

Flown the twinstar as well and loved it. I think something like a Seminole is probably a better trainer (less forgiving), but the liquid cooled, Jet-A sipping diesel in the twinstar is pretty slick.

As for student/cfi size limitations. The DA-20 is more roomy than a 150, but has less room than a 172. The DA-40 is comparable to the 172, but is in my opinion much nicer to fly. The visibility in the Diamonds is one of the greatest selling points to me.

I am 6'0" and 240 lbs, and I am currently training a student in the 20 that is nearly my same size. We can't go do training with a full tank, but we're within weight and balance on slightly lower than half tank.

DIAMOND, DIAMOND, DIAMOND!!!

Latest resources

Back