Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Masters Degree to get or does it even matter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You might have gotten it free but we paid for it.....

And don't forget you paid for his flight training also.
Nothing is free pal, while you "paid" for this he was out there on watch serving his country putting his A#% on the line for the rest of us, just like the rest of the service members have done and will continue to so. We also paid taxes in the service and pay back in the day didn't hold a candle to what the civilian world made. Sorry for the thread subject change but comments like that spool me up. Thanks for the service YIP.

It won't help you get an airline job BUT....if you get furloughed it would help a lot. When you get furloughed you will like already having it, since you will be short on both time and money then.

Lets say you had a master's degree and were applying to a Major airline for a pilot position, would they even care if you had a masters degree... and if they did, would it matter what it was in?

For example... Masters of Aero Science vs. MBA or non-aviation related

Just curious...

Gracias.

It definitely won't hurt you. An MBA could help in the lean years. I have a Master of Aero Science, which was kinda fun to get but I got into a "Major" before I had it. In this competitive world, anything you can do to differentiate yourself from the heard is a good thing. Since you are in the Navy and they will pay for it, I would go for the MBA, even though your aspirations are the cockpit of a major airline. Just because it is a crooked road we all walk and who knows where you will be in 10-15 years.

It sure cant hurt to get one, this is an extremely competetive industry. It would definitly set somoene above those without one. With thousands of pilots with fat log books due to lack of hiring over the past few years..... its going to take "other" things to set someone above from the rest. When everyone has thousands of hours of pic time... it doesnt mean very much. Cant hurt!

That being said, there are always a VERY few exceptions to the rule that get hired with no pic and no college.... but they are highly connected and its rare.

Having a masters will definitly put you in line ahead of many without one.

It could be argued "why would you even want to be an airline pilot today anyway"

With that said, additional education never hurt anybody. Do it for yourself, not to check that box. That could be a $50,000 box.

where have you been?

So "Capt. Youdontneedadegree" has a Masters.....:confused:
Almost everyone knows that I have a masters. I am not anti college, I have only said it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Do we want to go there?

An MBA will be beneficial to you outside of flying. Does having an MBA make you a better pilot? Of course not. Could having an MBA on your resume help you obtain a pilot job? Of course it could.
Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back