Best light used jet for under 3 mil?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tell us more about fat chicks... hahaha

My boss brought up the west wind...I was all for it. But he wants to stay single-pilot.

I was looking at a Commander 1000 for 1.6M...400K less a Westwind is listed if we're only going to fly 100-150 hours a year in this plane, adding a second pilot is peanuts..added safety... yada yada yada....

flattering as it may be that he only wants me to fly, I was looking forward to hiring another crew member.

Question. The CJ series are the only single pilot jets worth thier salt?

Last edited:
Have looked at insurance quotes single pilot vs 2? Might help your cause.

In the mean time, looks like a CJ or C-551.

G100driver said:
Have looked at insurance quotes single pilot vs 2? Might help your cause.

In the mean time, looks like a CJ or C-551.

C-551 = Bravo?

Are they all single and what is the price range?

Lets hear it for Fat Chicks!

H.Agenda said:
tell us more about fat chicks... hahaha

Fat Chicks: They'll provide ya with shade in the summer, and a windbreak in the winter! :beer:

Last edited:
H.Agenda said:
C-551 = Bravo?

Are they all single and what is the price range?
The CE551 is the Citation II limited to 12,500 lbs and certified single pilot. I would guess under 2M. The Bravo, which is the newer CE550B, is a 2 pilot airplane, but one can can get an FAA waiver to operate it single pilot. Training and insurance is more in that case. A Bravo would be closer to 4M I would guess. Anyone with a CE500 type rating and a good insurance company can fly a CE501 or CE551 single pilot. CE525S type would be required to fly the CJ single pilot. Good luck!

PJ

H.Agenda said:
But he wants to stay single-pilot.
Your boss is a cheap loser. Single pilot in a jet aircraft. Why would you want to do that even if it is legal. I hope your boss learns a good lesson about single pilot operations vs professional operations the hard way. Trying to save a few bucks, is he?

In no way am I suggesting you are a hack for a pilot, but what else is he willing to cut corners on? You could find a good CFI wet behind the ears and hungry. Pay him 40K and send him to school. He be loyal to you and your boss and operation for years. But noooooooooooooo. Boss wants that 1 pilot safety factor you get by operating that way. Take a flock of birds up the left side on departure with boss' family on board, and as that LH engine starts to silence itself, I bet that cheap boss will be praying to God for a simulator based well trained 2nd pilot to appear in that RH seat to help out the now overloaded El' Capitan.

LRvsH25B said:
Your boss is a cheap loser. Single pilot in a jet aircraft. Why would you want to do that even if it is legal. I hope your boss learns a good lesson about single pilot operations vs professional operations the hard way. Trying to save a few bucks, is he?

In no way am I suggesting you are a hack for a pilot, but what else is he willing to cut corners on? You could find a good CFI wet behind the ears and hungry. Pay him 40K and send him to school. He be loyal to you and your boss and operation for years. But noooooooooooooo. Boss wants that 1 pilot safety factor you get by operating that way. Take a flock of birds up the left side on departure with boss' family on board, and as that LH engine starts to silence itself, I bet that cheap boss will be praying to God for a simulator based well trained 2nd pilot to appear in that RH seat to help out the now overloaded El' Capitan.

The company I work for pays $30k a year less in insurance because they have me vs. a single pilot operation.

Learjet 31 or 35. Beats the living hell out of every light jet out there in everything but baggage space. I'll swear by the Learjet 35 till the day I die. Fantastic airplane.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back