Best Headsets out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

Currently I'm starting up my PPL and am looking into buying a headset that I can use for instructing and possibly as I move up. What are some of the best ones out there to buy? Any thoughts on this would be great. In addition to that any websites who have them or places one can show me to go to buy a quality headset would be great. Thank you in advance!

I own several good headsets - David Clark, Bose, Telex. They all have certain features that I like and other features that I don't really care for. My favorite set is a ENC David Clark that I've modified with the Oregon Aero ear pads and head pad - you literally forget you're wearing it and that's after 5 or 6 hours.

Bottom line is, like everything else, you pretty much get what you pay for. Buy a good set - you've only got one set of ears and hearing loss is cumulative.

FWIW, I don't believe any company can beat David Clark when it comes to customer service and warranty. Again, you get what you pay for.

'Sled

I love my Sennheisers HME 100, not ANR). Very small, compact, light weight. I had to borrow a pair of David Clarks, and kept wondering what was wrong with the planes I was flying as the engines did not sound right. Here I realized the D.C.s were louder, or at least I was hearing the engines louder.

Also, with Sennheiser one volume control for both ears, the D.C.s had separate volume controls for each ear and I realized I was spending way too much time trying to coordinate the sound.

Lead Sled said:
FWIW, I don't believe any company can beat David Clark when it comes to customer service and warranty. Again, you get what you pay for.

Lightspeed once repaired my headset over a weekend and had it back to me on Monday (I sent it Thusday or Friday, don't remember exactly). Free and years out of warrenty. David Clark can't beat that.

LOVE my LightSpeeds... good price, 350+ hours with em, very comfy with sunglasses too, ANR=heaven. EXCELLENT customer service too, repaired once, they included free shipping to and from, new ear seals, muff, and brackets when they repaired it, had it back within a week

Grove said:
Has anyone tried the new Clarity Aloft headset? I've heard they're really nice.
http://www.clarityaloft.com/

Grove
I've had a set for about a week. Love them so far. Subjectively, they block noise as well as my DCs with the Headsets Inc ANR kit, and you don't even notice they're on your head. They have a jack to pipe in CD or MP3 music, plus there's no battery to worry about.

GotBoost? said:
I've had a set for about a week. Love them so far. Subjectively, they block noise as well as my DCs with the Headsets Inc ANR kit, and you don't even notice they're on your head. They have a jack to pipe in CD or MP3 music, plus there's no battery to worry about.

Do the canal tips bother you at all? A student of mine has been demoing a pair and he says he likes them, but isn't quite sold on sticking canal tips in his ears. How long do you wear them on a flight? I am thinking of getting a pair but I'd like to hear from people about how they feel after flying 5+ hours per day. I'm kind of in between the Clarity Aloft or just upgrading my DC H10-20's with Oregon Aero ear pads/head pad.

g

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back