Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jet_Driver

"There I was...."
After some time and consideration I have come to the conclusion that ORD Controllers are the best I've seen. Why? Here are a few things that went into my conclusions:

DFW: X number of Arrivals, X number of Departures,(these are changing all the time) Standard Taxi routes, a special Queue Frequency so that one guy can sit there all day to do what it takes two transmissions and 5 seconds. All this, and they still can't do it right. It further proves that DFW stands for (D)oesn't (F)riken (W)ork.

ATL: What can I say, Bubba runs the tower. At least they don't need a Queue freq. there. They can't do anything the same two times in a row. This means they are still training controlers, or they refuse to get more efficient.

ORD: 4 arrivals, 1 Departure, No standard Taxi routes. They can launch and trap airplanes in multiple directions. If you screw up something in a taxi instruction, they may get irritated, but they never write you up. These guys at O'Hare have got some cahunas and work their system the most efficiently as I've ever seen. Way to go ORD Controllers.

I'll give it to the ORD controllers just for being some of the funniest guys I've heard:

(extremely busy night)
BMI: "O'Hare tower, Midlands XXX. Holding short 27R, ready for departure."
ORD: "Thanks Midlands: That's great."
(controller goes right back to machine-gunning other clearances)

(on inbound ground, after some guy says how he can't wait 'til he retires soon)
ORD: "Oh baby, I hear ya! Come June I'm outta here after twenty years. Just gonna be sitting in my undies watchin' Oprah all day."

And the ever pleasant, "MOVE AWAY FROM THE RUNWAY BUT DO NOT STOP. Contact ground."

ORD guys and gals are good but I have to give the nod to the NY controllers. Three of the countries' busiest airports within 10 NM of each other, complex arrivals, departures, and approaches, and not much real estate or airspace to work with. Especially LGA.

For entertainment value, I like the JFK ground controllers during the int'l push each evening. Always fun to hear the foreigners being sarcastically shredded and they usually don't even know it.

We were told this the other day by ORD ground.

GND: Hey, you got time for a question?
US: AHHHHH......SURE.
GND: Knock, Knock.
US: Oh, Shiite....um......who's there?
GND: Cleared for Takeoff.
US: Cleared for Takeoff, who?
GND: Cleared for Takeoff, that will be you, if you switch to N. Tower on 126.9 and he clears you....see ya.

It was cheesy but given the job those guys do, it was a great off moment.

I gotta stand up for the DFW controllers. They handle massive flow and some of the gnd controllers never miss a beat and the includes when the AA guys decide to transmit without listening (and it happens alot).
And I believe those standard taxi routes you whine about are company/airport specific.

I'd give props to DCA controllers back in the day when part 91 ops were busy. I've seen planes land 22,19, and 15 within seconds of each other. They'd all cross the intersection just the right time.

Orlando approach control does an amazing job during the height of
T/S season they thread the needle like nobody I know!

Propsync said:
I'd give props to DCA controllers back in the day when part 91 ops were busy. I've seen planes land 22,19, and 15 within seconds of each other. They'd all cross the intersection just the right time.

Props to The Minny guys.. before they got the other runway.. you could be on a 2 mile final while a dc10 is flaring and a heavy 75 is about to roll

Lets no forget out Cleveland and Indy center guys... almost all the flight go thru them and never a problem...always helpfull

Jet_Driver said:
After some time and consideration I have come to the conclusion that ORD Controllers are the best I've seen. Why? Here are a few things that went into my conclusions:

DFW: X number of Arrivals, X number of Departures,(these are changing all the time) Standard Taxi routes, a special Queue Frequency so that one guy can sit there all day to do what it takes two transmissions and 5 seconds. All this, and they still can't do it right. It further proves that DFW stands for (D)oesn't (F)riken (W)ork.

ATL: What can I say, Bubba runs the tower. At least they don't need a Queue freq. there. They can't do anything the same two times in a row. This means they are still training controlers, or they refuse to get more efficient.

ORD: 4 arrivals, 1 Departure, No standard Taxi routes. They can launch and trap airplanes in multiple directions. If you screw up something in a taxi instruction, they may get irritated, but they never write you up. These guys at O'Hare have got some cahunas and work their system the most efficiently as I've ever seen. Way to go ORD Controllers.

Atlanta hands down the best controllers. You are always cleared to land, half the taxiways as ORD and DFW, and the busiest airport in the world.

Latest resources

Back