Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best cellphone for international operations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I typically just use VOIP (Gizmo5 and Skype) on the laptop when overseas. The problem is that it is not always easy to get a good call quality as it is dependent on a relatively good high speed internet connection, which is some parts of the world including some places where you think it should be good it is either not available or it is expensive.

I have considered doing the unlimited international data plan on the iPhone, $30+ a month still adds up after a while. I may still consider it though.

Right now I am doing the Telestial card on an unlocked quad band phone. Got a Motorola U9 for less than $100.00 off Overstock.com. There are even cheaper unlocked quad band phones available. I just wanted something that would have good call performance and a long battery life. The phone is not 3G, but typically 3G phones have terrible battery life and cost a lot more. If I need 3G service in Japan or Korea I could just turn on the iPhone if absolutely necessary.

The Telestial card is a little cumbersome in some places as an outbound call will be a two step process, the phone calls a routing number and then your call gets routed through. The card will come with a U.S number and a European number. They advertise that you get free inbound calls in a bunch of countries, what is in the fine print is that if the inbound calls are on the U.S number it has a 19 cent surcharge per minute. Still that rate is probably better than a number of others.

I like the fact that I can have a phone with a separate number on it that the most important people in your life can contact you anywhere in the world. You don't have to worry about getting calls from the company as you would on your regular cell number.

I have used the phone for outbound calls in Amsterdam, UAE, and Nairobi so far. It has worked without a hitch. The smaller Motorola U9 is easier to carry around than my iPhone which with the Mophie Juice Pack on is a bit of a brick. I am not someone who has to check their email every few moments so not having that on the Motorola is not a bother though the phone and the Telestial card does support data, I have yet to mess with it. Since the phone is unlocked you can get local SIM cards that will give you even better rates for outbound calls. Doesn't take too much to change out the SIM's

When I am at home and I don't want to carry around the iPhone I just pop the AT&T SIM into the Motorola and it works perfectly.

Well that's my experience with overseas calling, I hope this information is of some benefit.

Last edited:
After a week in Europe, Oman and Afghanistan, the iPhone International Data Plan is working out like a charm.

3G coverage is so-so (much better in Europe than Oman), but when I turn off the 3G and just use the EDGE network it comes in reliably, if only a bit slow.

Skype has always worked well, even with the relatively slow internet connections I get in the hotels.

After a week in Europe, Oman and Afghanistan, the iPhone International Data Plan is working out like a charm.

3G coverage is so-so (much better in Europe than Oman), but when I turn off the 3G and just use the EDGE network it comes in reliably, if only a bit slow.

Skype has always worked well, even with the relatively slow internet connections I get in the hotels.

So this data plan is just to use unlimited internet all over the world, but if you actually place a call they'll charge you by minute?

So this data plan is just to use unlimited internet all over the world, but if you actually place a call they'll charge you by minute?

That's exactly right. The data plan allows me to check my emails, use the Google Maps feature, surf the web, check stock prices... pretty much everything.

If I want to call my wife back home, then I get charged an international rate, which I believe is something like $1.5/min. That's ANOTHER plan that I had added, although it only costs me $5 a month; you get drastically reduced rates for international calls. Still expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the "normal" price.

One of my loadmasters told me the other day, however, that he can make Skype calls using his iPhone, but only while on a 3G network. I haven't tried this yet, however.

As for your second post for the "unlimited data plan", I'm pretty sure that applies to the "normal" data plans you get with any iPhone. Meaning, if you bought an iPhone yesterday, you automatically got the "unlimited" plan, whereas if you buy one tomorrow, you get a more limited plan.

As far as I know, this only applies to domestic use.

The plan I have is specifically an unlimited "international" plan- it's possible they're limiting those as well, but I don't know.

If they are, you'd best hurry up and get it, as it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Hi!

9rj9: I was in Ougadougou last week. Nice airport.

I have an unlimited data plan from Verizon, with a Blackberry. I NEVER make any phone calls, unless it's skype on the computer. There is no roaming with my plan, so if roaming is the ONLY option, then I don't get data. That prevents the multi-thousand-dollar phone bills. Only problem is many places in West Africa there is no coverage. East Africa has very good coverage.

cliff
LFW

Gringo,

There is a ATT plan which you will not find on their site. If you are eligible for a discounted plan (DOD,Airline discount plan,etc) then call the international desk as a basic ATT customer service does not see it. Ask for their 65.00 unlimited data plan. You must be on a corporate type or DOD discount plan to be eligible. For the IPhone it will replace your 30.00 domestic plan so it is a net gain of 35.00 to your bill.

I do not like the changing sim card either so between this plan and the regular ATT int'l plan its all I use.

Good Luck! Hope this helps....

This helped A LOT! Thanks very much for this tip. I have my new status pending with AT+T and a date set to make it retroactive. You just saved me hundreds of dollars. Beers are on me if we ever meet on the road.

That's exactly right. The data plan allows me to check my emails, use the Google Maps feature, surf the web, check stock prices... pretty much everything.

If I want to call my wife back home, then I get charged an international rate, which I believe is something like $1.5/min. That's ANOTHER plan that I had added, although it only costs me $5 a month; you get drastically reduced rates for international calls. Still expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the "normal" price.

One of my loadmasters told me the other day, however, that he can make Skype calls using his iPhone, but only while on a 3G network. I haven't tried this yet, however.

As for your second post for the "unlimited data plan", I'm pretty sure that applies to the "normal" data plans you get with any iPhone. Meaning, if you bought an iPhone yesterday, you automatically got the "unlimited" plan, whereas if you buy one tomorrow, you get a more limited plan.

As far as I know, this only applies to domestic use.

The plan I have is specifically an unlimited "international" plan- it's possible they're limiting those as well, but I don't know.

If they are, you'd best hurry up and get it, as it's pretty good.

Ye I mean for new signs ups after that date.
I think you could use skype without 3G it will just be slower

Latest resources

Back