Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best cellphone for international operations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gringo

As good as it gets.
I've got an iPhone for domestic use, but AT&T charges up the wazoo for any international stuff...

Any suggestions on a good phone/carrier for international data/roaming while overseas? I'm open to all carriers, even foreign ones.

Thanks!

where are you going? I would buy an UNLOCKED GSM phone on Ebay and when you go to your international destination, buy a SIM card from a local cell phone store.

That being said, for roaming in Mexico and Central America, the prepaid GoPhone roams best. I have personally, physically, carried all the major carriers while in Latin America and the GoPhone roams the best.

Worldwide operations. We fly to every continent except Antarctica, so there's no telling where I'll be. One month Africa, the next month Asia, after that South America...

I'm hoping for a solution that won't require a SIM card for every country, but I don't know if that exists...

Thanks again!

When I was out of country I just left my iphone in airplane mode then used Skype on my phone. Worked great for me, but maybe I was lucky and was able to find pretty decent wi-fi.

Ref

Blackberry 9700 on ATT with international roaming and unlimited international data on top of my normal calling plan comes out to 80.00 a month total.

Using a t-mobile phone with "UMA" (Hotspot@home) you can make calls over wifi just like you were using the cell network. This works great when you are international in an area that has wifi (such as most hotels). It still uses your minutes but it acts like you were still in the states. Also the phones are GSM so they can take other sim cards.

Hi!

From reading other posters with LOTS of intntl experience, Blackberry/Verizon is the best. If you JUST want a phone (no email, calculator, scheduler, todo list, alarm clock, calender, etc.) then get a Verizon phone.

cliff
LFW
PS-The sim card thing is crazy, if you travel all over. Guy I work with had 50 or so sim cards he kept track of (or at least tried to)!

Verizon was the best, sinse the updated there roaming agreement with Vodafone, they have gone to not working in Kosovo, Biskek, the Middle East.

Blackberry 9700 on ATT with international roaming and unlimited international data on top of my normal calling plan comes out to 80.00 a month total.

Is this a recent plan, or have you had this option for a long time? I've called AT&T; they told me their best international data plan was $200 for 200MB.

Maybe it's a plan limited to Blackberries...

Latest resources

Back