best cell phone plan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Next Generation Cell Phones

I just moved back to the States after 3+ years in Europe. The US is at least 3-5 years behind Europe and Japan on cell phone technology. The "rest" of the world uses a dual band GSM network (900,1800). T-Mobile (Deutsche Telecom) and ATT-Wireless are in the transition to GSM (1900). Based on my experience flying worldwide for the last 3+ years from Europe, the US has to go to a standardized system and since the rest of the world uses GSM, it stands to reason that GSM will be that standard. There are just too many people that demand that their cell phone work in Europe and the US (and Japan too).

The major benefit of GSM, however is what is called "number portability". The rest of the world has required it for several years, but the US isn't requiring it for another 3 years or so. Every GSM phone uses a small chip called a SIM card. The SIM card is your phone #.... so I can take my SIM card out of my phone and put it into any GSM phone in the world and and that phone has my calling plan and phone number... this means you never have to change your cell phone # again. I have what ATT Wireless calls a "Gateway Phone", the Siemens C46 (TDMA and GSM 900,1900)... there are also Tri-band GSM phones 900,1800,1900. TDMA is US legacy digital and GSM is next generation/worldwide capability). This phone solves the GSM coverage problems that GSM has as it grows in the US because it works on the old and active digital network. My plan allows for 1000 minutes from anywhere to anywhere at any time in the Continental US and International roaming on a per-call basis ranging from .35c to 1.35 per minute.

I don't care who you buy your cell phone coverage from and all plans run about the same for time etc., but if you want to keep your cell # from now to eternity and you want worldwide coverage, GSM is the way to go.

Good Luck

Base rate?

FL510GV said:

My plan allows for 1000 minutes from anywhere to anywhere at any time in the Continental US and International roaming on a per-call basis ranging from .35c to 1.35 per minute.

Would you mind telling us how much the phone was and how much the monthly plan is (that includes the 1000 US minutes + per/minute roaming?) Thanks. Might be something to consider if my job takes me internationally.

Cell phones...

Here's my 10 cents for a mere 2cents. I had Sprint for about 2 years, and wound being restricted by the daytime minutes, and having a bunch of the nightime minutes left over. SO, I made the jump to AT&T. I went with the dual band initially and a Siemens phone that worked internationally, based on the salesmen rec.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I found the Siemens phone to be not so "user friendly". I went back to the store, and was talked into a GSM phone. The coverage for sure, is pretty sparse in the US, but is getting better. I was told it would be a few years before GSM catches up with digital. They have a coverage map on the site, and the coverage was at everyplace where my trips took me, so I took the plunge. I did go with the unlimited plan for 99 bucks, so that's been pretty good. That doesent include Intl. use of course.

I had a flip phone w/Sprint, and had problems with them, which I dont have w/AT&T. The customer service seems to be better than Sprint also. The Intl. service seems to be OK in Europe and the Caribbean as well.

I have heard from alot of friends that have T-mobile, and are very pleased w/the service.

greg20 asked "Would you mind telling us how much the phone was and how much the monthly plan is (that includes the 1000 US minutes + per/minute roaming?)"

When I signed up the phone was $100 with a $100 rebate after 1 mo service... so doing math in public, that makes the phone free (don't have a clue if the special rebate is still available, but there's always some deal out there-- shop around). The 1000 minutes plan is $99.99 per month and includes international roaming with the per-call charge.

Gumby said "I found the Siemens phone to be not so "user friendly"

The Siemens phone is definately not the most user friendly out there, but it provides the best coverage with GSM capability in the US.

FYI... It's way cheaper to pay for a plan that has more minutes than you normally use than to go over your minutes by a little. I learned this lesson the "pay"-nful way...

Here's my pitch...I have a side business with Excel Communications. Our wireless uses the Sprint network, so you have their coverage areas (which in my experience has been excellent) but we have our own customer service (which I think is the biggest complaint I hear about Sprint) with LIVE operators and we have some different phones (some flip, some not). Rate plans range from 300 to 4500 minutes with unlimited night and weekends and free mobile to mobile. You can check it out at my website if you want more info: http://www.globalgoldmine.com

E

BTW...we also have a new local plan for your home phone that for $49 you get 10 calling features like caller id, etc., unlimited local calls and unlimited FREE long distance. Awesome plan!

thanks

first id like to say thanks for all the feedback. i got more info from you guys than all the calling plan websites put together. this is what i came up with. att is trying to push their GSM network and have a plan called the $99 Intl. Charter Plan. this deal gives you unlimited domestic calling for a hundred bucks and any intl. calling when youre overseas for additional bucks. the GSM network is new and doesnt provide the coverage that ATT has currently, but you can get around that: the Siemens 46 phone is dual capable. both TDMA and GSM, which means you can get the benefit of $99 per mo for completely unlimited calling in the states, and go to Europe and direct dial. also with the GSM world phones, you keep your phone number for the rest of your life if you want. i switched my current # right over to the new phone.
they offer a bunch of phones with the plan but the seimens 46 is the only dual one on the market (if you find a phone you like that they dont offer, they will let you use it as long as it is GSM1900 compatable for Europe)
Sprint has the next best plan out there; and Verizon also. but this ATT plan in my opinion is unbeatable.
ill let you know how it goes in the future.
fd

I can't wait for my Sprint contract to expire. Their coverage is great, but the plan I need (2 phones-- 1 for the wife) costs us about $100/mo. Any new change in my program will actually give us more minutes for the same price but all their anytime minutes begin after 9PM during the week-- which really stinks... I've heard good news from my friends who utilize Verizon and Nextell.

flx757 said:
My wife (also a pilot) and I have a Sprint PCS plan where we share 2000 anytime minutes, have unlimited night and weekend minutes, as well as unlimited PCS to PCS minutes (so we can talk to each other), and the total bill for both phones is $85/mo. That's for two seperate phones with seperate numbers.

I know many people complain about Sprint coverage and customer service, and I agree that both leave a lot to be desired (especially the customer service), but we rarely, if ever, run into a coverage problem. And it's really hard to beat the price for what we get.

I just went to www.sprintpcs.com and the plan is 85$ PLUS 10$/mo for unlimited nights and weekends PLUS 15$/mo for a second phone. That equals 110$/mo before taxes (easily 15$/mo) and you only get unlimited PCS-to-PCS with a TWO YEAR CONTRACT.

You must have gotten one sweet deal. I have been a sprint customer for 6-7 years and they are just as bad as ever. Im going verizon March 1.

AT&T ALL THE WAY

AT&T has a new plan called the nationwide charter plan.. $99 bucks give you unlimited use day and night. $39.99 for 1000 minutes anytime and it all comes with no additional charges. No LD or roaming at all..

Latest resources

Back