Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Ok... I want to hear it - make me a believer! What's the best aircraft out there in every category?

I think the Citation III pretty much pounds anything else out there. We're talking the second fastest business jet in the skies here folks. Can't tell me .855 and FL510 isn't totally kick a$s! Sleek and sexy lines, trailing link gear, and more confusing and complex stuff than any other airplane/pilot should be allowed to have!

There! I said it ~ Now tell me how wrong I am and how I am smoking dope.

(I think all airplanes should be deafening loud, gargantuan in size, pour smoke out the exhaust, and be filled up with all kinds of dials and electromechanical gauges! - This is what disqualifies the Concorde from anyone saying it's the coolest airplane imaginable- because there just can't be anything else even close)

An SR-71 would be nice to get around quickly if price were no object.

A G550 or CX would make the list, I know the X will smoke the III.

I would take a P-51D over any of them.

Last edited:
I like the Conquest II, simply for its speed and range. For some reason i love the Cheyenne 400LS. The props on that thing are huge! 1000 shp per side!

A Supercub on amphibs followed closely by a nice Grumman Albatross. NO Cessna jet will ever be on any of my lists except for maybe a CJ if my ship ever docks. But if that happens you'll find me out (at the dock) preflighting the Albatross.

A Citation III? What are you thinking? A Citation X = Cessna's arguement that if you hang big enough engines on a pig you can make it fast. :p

'Sled

Fun to fly? Jetstream 31 - What can I say? It was a wiggly pig.

Best flying qualities? Douglas DC9-30 - Hands down the easiest to fly, most "well balanced" of any aircraft i've flown. No hydraulics (save the rudder) and you could fly her with your fingertips. Nice.

Best Performance? Lear 31a - I've never flown anything with as incredible performance as the Lear 31. Empty in the wintertime vertical speed pegged until the mid-twenties. WOW.

If you're gonna talk about the best, might also talk about the worst

Least fun to fly? Boeing 737 - Aeronautical equivalent of a dump truck.

Worst flying qualities? TIE: Canadair RJ/Dornier 328 turboprop - This one was hard. Frankly I almost jumped at the CRJ. The aeronautical engineers must have been on vacation when they designed this disaster. One need only watch the yoke during its convulsions during flap movement or during an approach to know that this thing needs help. -- the Dornier might be a close second. Within just a few knots of V2 the airplane will begin to lose directional control. Who certified this thing? Add the plastic instrument panel falling in your lap at inopportune times, a lav that wont flush on the ground, and a nosewheel steering system that is posessed by the devil and we might have a clear winner...er loser.

Worst Performance? Jetstream 31 (again) - The J31, though enjoyable to fly, tuckered out at around 7000 msl. Redline was 223knots, in the summertime you would occasionally hit the stop on the throttles before reaching t/o power. Sad. They must have had some engineers from Shorts come in and talk about the benefits of having the aerodynamics of a phone-booth.

Whichever one it is that I get paid to fly. ;)

If I were going to buy one I'd probably go for a late model Citabria. Bonanzas are cool too.

-Goose

Last edited:
A Waco Classic (just like my avatar)
Caravan on Floats
Piper Cub (w/ float kit)
Grumman Albatross
Beechcraft Starship
Extra 300
Cessna 150 (we need to preserve the 150's)

That would make my hangar look real pretty!

Latest resources

Back