Bermuda/Grand Cayman/Amelia Is.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what type of a/c?

I can vouch for the West Palm Beach (PBI) customs office. Quick and painless every time I needed to clear. It's not a big deal for you guys flying "big iron" :D but I was treated just as well as the GIV's when I was flying a Lance, 172 or Duchess. They never caught me smuggling either ;)

I've been to cayman about uhhh....300 times. The Hyatt blows if you ask me. I stay at the Westin and trust me, after Ivan, you want to stay at the Westin right now. Drive out to the east end and look at the destruction, its amazing.

Pappagallo's?? Nah. Don't go there--too expensive for what you are getting and its too far out of the way. I like The Reef, Cracked Conch and The Wharf. Good Times... Oh yeah, anyone go to Big Black Dick Liquor to get some rum?? you've gotta see this rum bottle, hilarious...

HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.bigblackdickrum.com

Last edited:
Different strokes...The Lighthouse was also one of my favorites (out on the dock) ate there last September, 2 days before Ivan. I'm pretty sure it's just a foundation now. I changed jobs in January, so I havn't been back since then. How did Morrit's Resort on the East End come through?

Come to FXE to clear customs! The office is now open until 2100, and we don't have nearly the amount of delays and traffic that FLL does. I work for an FBO on the field, PM me if you want some more info, and I can get you in contact with someone to set up a fuel price, if you would like.

Morrits faired pretty good. I was just there a few weeks ago eating lunch and couldnt even tell a hurricane was there. They repaired quickly. The new ritz carlton was damaged the worst and was pushed back to a 2007 opening. The water from the east end came through to the other side right there. I've been real disappointed with the residents of cayman the last few times. They are turning into the non-friendly thieving Jamaica types now. Very disappointing to see the nice people of cayman turning this way.

Great info!

I too am a beginner in int'l planning, and appreciate the wisdom and practical advice of you experienced guys!

We have been using Universal to go deep into Mexico, but I think we can dispense with them - very expensive! What does the forum think?

P.S. Sorry for the partial thread hijack.... :)

Are you fluent in spanish? If not keep the handler. Anytime I go somewhere where I don't speak or read the language I want an handler that is fluent in both South Georgia Redneck and the local language. I do well to make the conversion to Liters and then think back to Seseme Street,where I learned how to count to ten in Spanish. I work the amount out on my fingers uno, does, thres etc., write it down and then go tell the lineman how many liters I want in my very best Spanish and I hope he doesn't ask any questions. Yes I need a handler.

gota love the Fuel - Menu page on the FMS... Liters to Gals??? no problem man.

I agree with PBI customs - quite easy.
Unless they changed something in FXE you will have to wait outside the customs building (in the hot sun) if someone is there before you, as they only let one party in the building at a time. Fuel will probably be cheaper @ FXE then PBI or FLL though - Banyan always was good at that.

55J - Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport, is what I assume that you are refering to when you ask about Ameila Island. Their are a few things to consider. First it's small town, one FBO and if you are arriving outside normal working hours you need to call ahead to make sure someone is there. They have no crew car but they do have hertz. Their is a very noce Hampton Inn in downtown but if you are staying a while just drive to JAX, it's 45 minutes. I paid $4.35 a gallon for Jet A (ouch), so don't plan on taking a lot of fuel out. you may want to check the ramp fee for your type for aircraft. The runways are descent size 5200x100, I wouldn't be too concerned unless I was coming in, tankering fuel in a G4 and it was wet. Keep an eye on the Saint Mary's TFR, it's 10nm to the north and extends to 3000.

Bermuda is easy living, just expensive.

Use a handler, unless you are a frequent customer to a foreign destination and have established a repor with the handler directly.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back