Bend Over C.O.M.A.I.R!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ouch!! That sucks.

I don't think you could pay me enough to commute to JFK.........No way.........

Mesaba went from 6-7 year FO's to Street Captains in 6 months, I wonder if Comair will too???

If Comair doesn't find a way to retain senior First Officers who are frustrated by four years of stagnation...actually negative growth, upgrades only to almost immediately be downgraded again, constant attacks from Delta and Comair because they earn "too much" money, upgrade classes cancelled or postponed on numerous occasions, vacancy bids cancelled on numerous occasions, a reserve system that is exceptionally abusive for reserve pilots, crew schedulers who have an average two months' experience, "delta quality" hotels that have deteriorated in quality so much that some are unsafe...just to save the company $10 per night for a crew of three, twelve hour four day trips, a 76 hour minimum line value, twelve days off per month while spending 300 hours or more away from home per month, being sent by the company for a medical disqualification physical if you call in sick more than they feel appropriate, watching DCI grow over the last four years from four carriers to roughly ten, age 65 slowing retirement attrition...Comair will either be hiring street Captains, or continue to give away airplanes until there's no Comair anymore...which is pretty obvious that's what Delta's intentions are...despite getting what they wanted from the pilot group during the bankruptcy.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights? Never mind, Comair quit paying their electric bill months ago.

If Comair doesn't find a way to retain senior First Officers who are frustrated by four years of stagnation...actually negative growth, upgrades only to almost immediately be downgraded again, constant attacks from Delta and Comair because they earn "too much" money, upgrade classes cancelled or postponed on numerous occasions, vacancy bids cancelled on numerous occasions, a reserve system that is exceptionally abusive for reserve pilots, crew schedulers who have an average two months' experience, "delta quality" hotels that have deteriorated in quality so much that some are unsafe...just to save the company $10 per night for a crew of three, twelve hour four day trips, a 76 hour minimum line value, twelve days off per month while spending 300 hours or more away from home per month, being sent by the company for a medical disqualification physical if you call in sick more than they feel appropriate, watching DCI grow over the last four years from four carriers to roughly ten, age 65 slowing retirement attrition...Comair will either be hiring street Captains, or continue to give away airplanes until there's no Comair anymore...which is pretty obvious that's what Delta's intentions are...despite getting what they wanted from the pilot group during the bankruptcy.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights? Never mind, Comair quit paying their electric bill months ago.

I agree completely, Comair will have closed the doors long before they ever hire a street captain.

Ugh...this is depressing. Comair will not be an airline in the not too distant future. The company is picking up numerous OAL ground handling contracts not only at current OH staffed cities, but also at cities where Comair does not fly. I think some YO-nited express was recently added. A/C going bye bye with no replacements.

The wave of the future.

They just cancelled our company Christmas Party. They say it was do to not enough early RSVP's and since our new Leader says that we need to trim costs, they saw it needed to cancel the party in case nobody showed up.

Not really sure what it was going to cost them if they were going to charge each employee $40.00 for it.

I am almost starting to wonder if puting Comair Inc. in the work history section of a resume is going to have stigma to it.

Seems like the Majors are really chopping the regional flying....is this all concentrated to the DCI area?....or is it system wide?

Earlier this year I was a little ticked that Comair wouldn't call me back after they had offered me a class date. But after reading this, maybe now not so much.

-Goose

Does any company want any 3000 Sic FO's? Didn't think so. Three options, buy ATP and leave, wait for upgrade that will never happen, or opt out of flying all together. Yeay what a choice. While all my CFI classmates, that went elsewhere, have Major jobs. Guess it's survival of the smartest, or the luckiest. Dunno, it's been a good ride, but Mr. Mom doesn't sound all that bad. Honey can you pick up an extra shift?

I've got a tough one. Been here 1.5 years and want to get out of here with the quickness. The wife is due with our first child in early Feb. If I start training with a new airline who knows where I'll be around the time of birth. Will the airlines give me time off during training to spend the time at home?

Last edited:
I've got a tough one. Been here 1.5 years and want to get out of here with the quickness. The wife is due with our first child in early Feb. If I start training with a new airline who knows where I'll be around the time of birth. Will the airlines give me time off during training to spend the time at home?

It all depends on who you fly for. Some will others maybe. As long as you aren't asking for a loooong time off, I don't see a problem.

You want to keep in mind however, that you must do what is in the best long term interest for your family, and if an oppurtunity presents itself to go to a major
or something like that, you have to make a decision.
I think most airlines will understand the birth of your child is important, so they will probably cut you some slack.

You a memeber of OBAP?

I believe FMLA allows twelve weeks off for a newborn. Do a google search.

It's not like Comair is going to give you any time off anyway...unless the government tells them they have to.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back