• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot_Ryan

Tiller Twirler
Hey everyone,

What's everyone's take on dealing with being sick? I've been with my current company for about two years and I've only missed one trip due to being sick (actually, I didn't even call in sick, but the guy I was flying with tipped off our administrative people. After I found out he told them, I called in and told 'em I didn't want to wave off the trip, but they already had someone to replace me and wouldn't let me back on!) On that occasion I felt sick, but not so sick I couldn't work. But it was pretty close to my threshold for being 'too' sick.

I absolutely, completely despise and detest waving off if I don't absolutely have to.

I got back from a few days in Honduras and D.R. Well, Montezuma came after me with a vengeance and now four days later I feel absolutely horrible. I am not sure if it's a result of something I ate or drank down there or if I might have caught something else after I returned, because usually the gestation period for me is around three days. Whatever I've got I feel like it's getting worse.

I have a five day trip starting tomorrow and unless I start feeling better soon I don't see how I can make it. I can't keep anything down, including water, and it's a 4+ hour flight.

Still, the thought of calling in sick makes me feel even more, uh, sick.

Anyone else have any thoughts here? Maybe I'm being irrational but I feel like a real pudwacker for letting this get me down. And I definitely don't want to get a reputation as the guy who keeps getting sick (although is twice in two years bad? I don't know.) My airplane keeps a nice schedule and I'm well taken care of by my company so I really don't want to let them down.

Last edited:
If you're sick, you're sick. I hate to call in sick too. I have flown when I didn't feel good. I have flown many times when I should have been at home recuperating. When you get to the point that you start to jeopardize safety, you need to take a break. Sounds like you might have one end of your anatamy or the other in the potty for most of the trip.

Make the call now.

Last edited:
Pt. 91 if you have a cold, you go. If stuff is coming out of any oraface in an uncontrolled manner, you stay home.TC

Calling in sick, especially for a 5 day trip, stinks but spending 3.5 hours of a 4 hour trip in the lav puking your guts out would be a little embarassing. In addition, the pax might begin to question your judgement in the cockpit, if you put yourself on a trip they don't think you should be on.

Having dealt with Montezuma before, I know he is a real a$$ hole. I would go see a doctor. They have prescribed something for me that kicks in w/i about 24 hours.

The overwhelming tone of your post is that you are a hard working guy who really doesn't abuse your company's sick day policy. So take your days. If you get grief for ligitimate sickness, do you work for the right organization? If you get pressure to fly when you aren't up to it, you might ask the same question.

Are you a Captain at your company? Flying obviously impaired by sickness does bring judgment questions, plus, are you asking a FO to pick up your slack in the cockpit? (He'll see it and have to deal with it even when you don't.) What's his/her experience level?

It is a pain to arrange coverage on short notice, I'll admit, but the department will always shine brighter in the eyes of management if you consistently make conservative decisions that hold up over the long term.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I was at a low point this morning when I wrote that, but I've been getting steadily better and I should be fine for the trip tomorrow. Phew.

Pilot_Ryan said:
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I was at a low point this morning when I wrote that, but I've been getting steadily better and I should be fine for the trip tomorrow. Phew.

Glad you are feeling better. Always better to call in sick than fly if you are un-fit to do so.

Also, I would NEVER want to sit next to you if you are contagous <sp>. You have a resposibitly to be in good physical shape. If you are not, then the answer is simple, call in sick. Sounds like you do not abuse this so there should be very little question about your calling in sick.

Pilot_Ryan said:
Hey everyone,

What's everyone's take on dealing with being sick?
Still, the thought of calling in sick makes me feel even more, uh, sick.

Anyone else have any thoughts here?

I've never understood why pilots, in particular, have a difficult time calling in sick. The world doesn't stop turning if we do so. Most people in other professions I know don not have a problem using sick days legitimately or for playing hooky.

In my pre-college school career I only missed three days of school total--all to work for my dad during high school. In my mom's eyes there was no such thing as being too contagious to go to school with a cold.

I've called in sick only for being sick. Do I feel guilty? Yes. Why? See above.

Tailwinds...

"Mission completion syndrome" is pervasive within our industry. Read Redefining Airmanship by Tony Kern?

Per Clint Eastwood: "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Dude, if you're sick, don't fly. Period. That is your responsibility as PIC. If you're not at 100% capacity to safely operate that aircraft, you don't need to be driving it. I made that mistake 1 time back in my PPL days. Took a CE-182 up with a head cold, couldn't clear out my head for about 3 days. I was absolutely miserable and had no business whatsoever flying. Box checked, lesson learned. Never again.

Latest resources

Back