Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G4G5

I need help with a beer bet.

Logging night time, I understand the FAA requirements as when it starts with regards to sunrise and sunset but when does it start with regards to the aircraft movement?

Is it based upon block time for actual flight time?
In my little aircraft days I logged it based upon Hobbs time, in essence block time. Our company logs it as flight time. I am not sure which is correct and I can't seem to find an FAR reference on the topic does anyone have any FAR guidance?

Thanks in advance

Taxing is defined as critical phase of flight by FAA. So, block! Enjoy your beer!:beer:

edit: FAR 1.1
Flight time (1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves undr its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing.

Last edited:
No offsense, but 8000 hours and flying Guflstreams and you can't answer this question on your own? I think you buy the beer regardless of what the bet is.

2000Easy is spot on.

Remember I said "no offense".

No offsense, but 8000 hours and flying Guflstreams and you can't answer this question on your own? I think you buy the beer regardless of what the bet is.

2000Easy is spot on.

Remember I said "no offense".

I did answer it correctly, but I did not have a reference for it handy. Other then 1.1 definations and part 61 I was not sure if their was another FAR that I was missing.

The argument was with a Director of Flight Ops (maintenance guy, who is not a pilot).

I have like 20,000hrs flight time and couldn't answer that.

At least he was looking for a reference, all I can do is shut my mouth and agree when someone quotes FARs.

How about night currency? - whats required?

:confused:

I flew with a guy who said you could not log Instrument and night at the same time, it was one or the other. I use to confuse him by saying what do you do during the day?? So if I log instrument during the day do I subtract it from my total time but not my sic, pic, or cross country???? he would laugh at me and tell me to shut up.
good times, good times.

I have like 20,000hrs flight time and couldn't answer that.

At least he was looking for a reference, all I can do is shut my mouth and agree when someone quotes FARs.

How about night currency? - whats required?

:confused:

Can't remember right off the top of my head, but I can tell you that when I was with the government, some prick figured out that we were not remaining current in regards to night currency during the long days of summer. For Christ's sake all of us were average a little over a 100 hours a month and the last bloody thing we wanted to do was to go out some night and get three takeoffs and landing to satisfy some silly rule.

As we were attending two recurrency schools a year, we just made sure one was in the summer months and keep the night time currency that way in the sim.

I think it is three takeoffs and landings at night every 90 days, but not too sure.

Problem solved.

Can't remember right off the top of my head, but I can tell you that when I was with the government, some prick figured out that we were not remaining current in regards to night currency during the long days of summer. For Christ's sake all of us were average a little over a 100 hours a month and the last bloody thing we wanted to do was to go out some night and get three takeoffs and landing to satisfy some silly rule.

As we were attending two recurrency schools a year, we just made sure one was in the summer months and keep the night time currency that way in the sim.

I think it is three takeoffs and landings at night every 90 days, but not too sure.

Problem solved.

To a full stop.:p thought I'd add that before "airbug" opens his pie hole.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back