Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
volunteer said:
How many G.P.H. does the Baron burn?

We run ours at 25" or max throttle, and 2500 RPM consistently...averages about 30 GPH at those settings.

Want to make some gas? Slow up to 120 kts at 2000 RPM and whatever throttle it takes to make the airspeed at the altitude you're at, and the flow goes WAY down. Helpful in the northeast, especially this time of year, if you can hold between layers or above it in the clear, wait until the courier is at the airport, then dive down, land, turn in a hurry, and be on your way. Minimal ice collection in all but the heaviest of icing conditions.

The Baron is an awesome airplane, I would also like to own one someday. Next to the A-10, it has some of the nicest control and handling characteristics out there.

RockyMnt1 said:
The BE 56 TC burned about 40 gph in cruise. Around 80 gph for take off!! Fun to fly. Not fun to refuel.

There is so much torque produced that the left main wheel strut is compressed at the start of the takeoff roll, so you are going down the runway listing to the left.

I've noticed that tendency even in our regular BE-58s...unless there's a kicking crosswind from the left, I will usually start out with full right aileron in and take it out to keep the airplane level as it accelerates, even when it's on the ground!

For those that have flown or fly it, just curious - what do you rotate at? Though Vmca is 84 knots (74 on the ones with vortex generators), I always brief rotation at 85 because the bird really wants to fly. Some of our guys hold it on the ground to 90+, and I've witnessed wheelbarrowing on the nosewheel using that technique. The airplane accelerates through intentional single-engine speed (88 knots) and blue line so quickly that I don't feel getting it airborne a few knots above red line is that much of a factor.

Any comments?

RockyMnt1 said:
The BE 56 TC burned about 40 gph in cruise. Around 80 gph for take off!! Fun to fly. Not fun to refuel.

There is so much torque produced that the left main wheel strut is compressed at the start of the takeoff roll, so you are going down the runway listing to the left.
In addition to that, you had to seriously pay attention to Vmcg. Lose an engine before reach that speed and there's no way that you'd keep the airplane on the runway.

The sound of a toilet flushing when you go to takeoff power is the fuel going into the engines.

Barons also have a dark side - pay attention to the Vsse. In a Vmc rollover event they tend to go into unrecoverable flat spins. It's not the problem nowadays as it used to be a few years ago. Most of the fleet has VGs installed. I lost a couple of friends in one.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back