Beech 1900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your Question

Do you mean an interupt on the electric trim? You can interupt it both with a switch on the control yoke as well as turning the switch off on the lower center pedestal.

Or are you thinking more like the J4100 that has a control disconnect for the elevator where you pull it and the FO flies the one side of the elevator and the Captain flies the other? (If my distant memory serves me)

Humble

Last edited:
Control disconect. we call it the pitch disconnect in the Dash so I figured they were all called the same thing.

FR8mastr said:
Control disconect. we call it the pitch disconnect in the Dash so I figured they were all called the same thing.

No. All the flight controls on the 1900 are simple mechanical, and the two yokes are permanently coupled to each other and to the controls. There's no way to separate or disconnect them. The only hydraulics are in the gear extension and the brakes.

Hope that helps.

FAA Part 23 or Part 25

I could be wrong on this so if someone could back me up or tell me I'm wrong go ahead. This is an educated guess based on my previous experiance as an engineer with a boeing contractor.

The 1900 is certified under Part 23 like the King Air and is not required to have provisions for alternate control (pitch disconnect/ roll discinnect)

Transport catacory aircraft such as the Dash 8, CRJ, ERJ, EMB120, 737, 757 (or aircraft over 25,000 lbs. MGTOW) are certified under FAA Part 25 or Transport Catigory. Part 25 requires aircraft to have a alternate method of control jam or pitch trim jam/runaway hence the control disconnect in the dash and other part 25 aircraft certified with a MGTOW over 25,000 lbs.

And if I'm not mistaken it come from an accident (I think in Europe/Asia somewhere) (70's time frame) where a DC-8 or 707 (older model jet) kicked up a rock on takeoff. As luck would have it for the crew it landed right between the horizontal stab. and elevator on the left side jamming the elevator. The resulting loss of control lead to the jet crashing off the end of the runway.

So like every other accident the feds/ntsb came up a rule that said part 25 aircraft need to have alt. control provisions.

Disclaimer: to the best of my knowledge this is correct although I might of mixed up the part 23 for 25 but you get the gist of the story. Can anyone back me up or tweak this so it accurate?

An example using the Dash 8. Say FR8mastr got deiced at ABE, just Type one as it stopped snowing. (he was called in off reserve to do one leg stay overnite in SWF and triple DH home at 5 am the next day) When the Mainline ramp guys (lazy overpaid sh1ts) deiced the tail and top of the horizontal stab they missed the large chunk of ice but enough T1 was applied to loosen the large chunk enough to allow it to slide around up there. When FR8mastr goes to takeoff the chunk slides between the stab and elevator on the left side of the tail. Passing thru 800 feet he goes to lower the nose to accelerate to 160KIAS and whamoooo. He can't pitch down b/c the chunk has the elevatpr jammed. FR8mastr calls "pith jam, pitch jam" (as he sucks the seat cushion between his a$$ cheeks) and does the proper memory items. The FO (who is happy as a clam because he doesn't have to fly with the typical ABE capt a$$hole) pulls the PITCH DISCONNECT HANDLE, (splitting the elevator) and because the jam was on the left side the FO now has pitch control. They declaire an emergancy and land, fill out some paper work, call dispatch and FR8mastr gets the day off so he goes for a ride on his Hog happy he doesn't have to spend the night in the SWF Hooker Hotel. End of example.

Take Care

Last edited:
The accident aircraft, N233YV, was a Beech 1900E (Economy). We also liked to call it the Larry Risley special. He found it cheaper to buy 1900's that didnt have electric trim. I cant remember what tail number was the last one with electric trim but anything after UE200 was manual trim only.

Re: FAA Part 23 or Part 25

LearLove said:
I could be wrong on this so if someone could back me up or tell me I'm wrong go ahead. This is an educated guess based on my previous experiance as an engineer with a boeing contractor.

The 1900 is certified under Part 23 like the King Air and is not required to have provisions for alternate control (pitch disconnect/ roll discinnect)

Transport catacory aircraft such as the Dash 8, CRJ, ERJ, EMB120, 737, 757 (or aircraft over 25,000 lbs. MGTOW) are certified under FAA Part 25 or Transport Catigory. Part 25 requires aircraft to have a alternate method of control jam or pitch trim jam/runaway hence the control disconnect in the dash and other part 25 aircraft certified with a MGTOW over 25,000 lbs.

And if I'm not mistaken it come from an accident (I think in Europe/Asia somewhere) (70's time frame) where a DC-8 or 707 (older model jet) kicked up a rock on takeoff. As luck would have it for the crew it landed right between the horizontal stab. and elevator on the left side jamming the elevator. The resulting loss of control lead to the jet crashing off the end of the runway.

So like every other accident the feds/ntsb came up a rule that said part 25 aircraft need to have alt. control provisions.

Disclaimer: to the best of my knowledge this is correct although I might of mixed up the part 23 for 25 but you get the gist of the story. Can anyone back me up or tweak this so it accurate?

An example using the Dash 8. Say FR8mastr got deiced at ABE, just Type one as it stopped snowing. (he was called in off reserve to do one leg stay overnite in SWF and triple DH home at 5 am the next day) When the Mainline ramp guys (lazy overpaid sh1ts) deiced the tail and top of the horizontal stab they missed the large chunk of ice but enough T1 was applied to loosen the large chunk enough to allow it to slide around up there. When FR8mastr goes to takeoff the chunk slides between the stab and elevator on the left side of the tail. Passing thru 800 feet he goes to lower the nose to accelerate to 160KIAS and whamoooo. He can't pitch down b/c the chunk has the elevatpr jammed. FR8mastr calls "pith jam, pitch jam" (as he sucks the seat cushion between his a$$ cheeks) and does the proper memory items. The FO (who is happy as a clam because he doesn't have to fly with the typical ABE capt a$$hole) pulls the PITCH DISCONNECT HANDLE, (splitting the elevator) and because the jam was on the left side the FO now has pitch control. They declaire an emergancy and land, fill out some paper work, call dispatch and FR8mastr gets the day off so he goes for a ride on his Hog happy he doesn't have to spend the night in the SWF Hooker Hotel. End of example.

Take Care

The 1900C was certified Part 23, but the D model was certified Part 25. The aircraft that crashed in CLT was a D model, and was certified Part 25. In order to get the 1900D certified Part 25, Beechcraft had to receive many exemptions from the FAA. The lack of alternate controls is just one of many items on the 1900D not compliant with Part 25 requirements. The landing gear alternate extension method is another.

I could be wrong but I think that the D model is still a Part 23 Commuter category aircraft. I do not have any of my manuals nearby but until 2005 requirements of EGPWs the only real difference between 23 and 25 is a climb performance gradient of 2.3% instead of 2.5%. I am pulling the numbers out of my arse but my point is that I think that the beech is a part 23 aircraft regardless of the model.

Latest resources

Back