Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MtrHedAP

Lurker
My question is do you need a SIC type rating on the Beech 1900 to act as second in command? It would be for a part 135. Also the captain is not rated for single pilot privileges in the 1900. I have read the regs for SIC and do not fully understand them.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.
I will be flying in africa though on a south african validation off my US license. Does that mean i need one?

In that case, I believe you will need one, yes. That NBAA link I posted has good information on how to get it. It's not a full type rating or anything like that -- there isn't a checkride for it. It just shows foreign aviation entities that you're appropriately trained in the airplane for which you're acting as a required crewmember.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun trip. :cool:

Thanks that link has alot of great information. So i guess i would need one unless south african regs dont require it. - Or the country I am flying in. I will now need to research their regulations. I know that south africans need a type rating to fly any airplane, even a 172 or PA-28.

You might want to check that. The B1900 like other SFAR 41 aircraft are SINGLE PILOT required for that type aircraft. See the Type data certificate. If the PIC has a limitation "must have SIC" then it requires a SIC but I do not think there is a SIC type rating for a single pilot aircraft.

From the NBAA web site posted by CA1900:

When an SIC Type Rating is Required

The final rule requires pilots who plan to fly outside U.S. airspace and land in foreign countries, and who are acting as second-in-command of an aircraft certificated for operations with a minimum flight crew of at least two pilots, to obtain an SIC pilot type rating.

You might want to check that. The B1900 like other SFAR 41 aircraft are SINGLE PILOT required for that type aircraft. See the Type data certificate. If the PIC has a limitation "must have SIC" then it requires a SIC but I do not think there is a SIC type rating for a single pilot aircraft.

For what its worth when I flew the 1900 there was a limit that said if it was flown single pilot that the number of pax was limited to 9 or less. I don't remember if that was a Beech, company, or FAA thing, but I do remember that 9 was definately the number, and I know that we had a few guys that were "single pilot typed" and they would only fly single pilot on repo or ferry flights. I left before I upgraded so I never got the 1900 type so I don't know if it says "requires an SIC" and I don't have an SIC type because I flew the 1900 years ago before that crazy SIC type thing was done.

Latest resources

Back