• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Becoming a FAA inspector

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would think that getting a FED job would be a equal opportunity employer, not who you know, if you possess the quals your considered. I think I could be a decent FAA guy, not out to prove anything but on the other hand there is many operators that should not be in business. I live at a fly in community, would be definately interesting see how people run.

Getting hired for a FED position has nothing to do with who you know??? PLEASE, get real! It's been my experience that who you know matters MOST when trying to get a federal position.

Given the present state of the FAA, I would rather be kicked in the crotch than to EVER go to work for them. Well, maybe not, but it would suck almost as bad, in my opinion.

Are you frickin nuts?!?! Seriously, all the FSDO jackaroos we have make most of us shun them like lepers.
Now if your goal was to up the quality, we could always use some of that.

Rally said:
Ok, no jokes about how once you get that stuff on you you can't wash it off etc.I am 25 4 year degree 2300 TT like 250+ ME. ATP CFI-I MEI etc. No violations, 135 experience. How hard is it to get a job with the FAA? I like the idea of the government stability etc and rather not particpate in traveling all over the country with the airlines and corporate making crap no job security. Anybody know? Any faa inspectors PM me? Thanks

Beware the Dark Side Luke.....quicker, easier....more seductive!!!

Know a guy from my old airline that fell to the dark side, pretty good pay and working conditions, he never gets to fly anymore except in the sim, Last time I spoke with him he was starting to look for something else. Don't know if he left or not. Anyhow, he had not logged a real hour in over two years last time I saw him, apparantly they hardly do any flying at the Federal Aviation Administration.

Anyhow, it appeared to be a lot about who you know. He was on the 121 side, but with your time you would be up for the 91 side, according to him they pretty much keep the 121 side of the FAA staffed with ex airline types and the GA guys go to ....well the GA side. I seem to recall a difference in pay for the two sides, but cannot be sure about that.

Last edited:
I know a number of inspectors, all good guys. Don't listen to the nimrods here. The ones I know are all from the same office,so things may differ at other offices. They work what the guvmint call an AWS schedule (alternative work schedule) They work 4 10 hour days and have the weekend off and either the Fri or Mon off. The ones here in the SAN office are all pulling in over 100K with locality pay and have pensions. Not too bad. Yeah, stay away from the feds and listen to the flight instructors chiming in with bad things to say.

Yeah, WTF? The examinars and FSDO guys only suck when you have something to hide. Im a FED, the FAA pays my bills. What am I an out cast now?

MK

I believe you're ATC though, aren't you?

If you're going to work at the FSDO, check your sock drawer. If none of your socks match, then you're golden.

Lrjtcaptain said:
Yeah, WTF? The examinars and FSDO guys only suck when you have something to hide. Im a FED, the FAA pays my bills. What am I an out cast now?

MK

Spoken like a true Fed! Seriously, some of you guys are alright, but there are plenty of complete DICKS also! Not saying you are one of them because I dont know you, but several of the one's I've met definitely fall into the latter category. And no, I've NEVER had anything to hide. It's just that some of you guys get off on rousting pilots instead of actually doing your job, and that's a fact.

Aviation could use more knowledgable people in the regulatory role. You won't be able to keep the idiots under control, but the good operators will seek you out to get their problems resolved.

The best airworthiness guys and gals at our local FSDO are those with years of industry experience. They know what a bleeping progressive inspection is and how one should be conducted and logged. The best operations guys and gals are the ones that have worked in industry and know how an operation should be run, how to get around inconvienent regulations, and how to put feet to the fire for the operations that aren't up to snuff.

Put your app in. It may be years before you hear back. Get in, get your year, and go wherever you want in the FAA. Be sure to apply for any flight check positions that open.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back