beating the dead horse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YV-135C

There is more than one way to PFT. You guys seem to think that the only way to PFT is by taking someone else's job.The truth is that there are programs out there that put the pilot in the right seat of an airplane without taking someone else's job. Not all SIC programs are worthless. Some provide actual flight line experience in weather conditions in which a lower time pilot might not normally fly in due to lack of experiecnce, or whatever other reason. This is invaluable stuff. If it's not taking another person's job ( SIC in aircraft that don't require SIC for example), then wouldn't you rather get actual operating experiece that is more challenging and affordable in higher performance airplanes rahter that putting around the patch in a 152 for the zillionth time with your nervous first time student doing touch and go's while trying not to fall asleep??

I know w couple of folks who have gone through SIC programs like the ones I am talking about. These same folks were also CFI's who insisted that the experience they paid for ( NOT TAKING ANOTHER PERON's JOB, MIND YOU) was 1000 times ore beneficial than the time they spent being CFI at their local flight schools..

i can probably predict how you guys will respond to this ,with your "pay your dues " attitudes..Remember that just because you paid your dues one way doesn't mean that that is THE ONLY WAY....

just beating the dead horse....

YV-135C

YV-135C said:
If it's not taking another person's job ( SIC in aircraft that don't require SIC for example), then wouldn't you rather get actual operating experiece that is more challenging and affordable in higher performance airplanes rahter that putting around the patch in a 152 for the zillionth time with your nervous first time student doing touch and go's while trying not to fall asleep??

Just one question. If you're SIC in an aircraft that doesn't require a SIC, how are you logging the time?

It's still wrong to pay for flight time especially when paying passengers or freight people have paid to have shipped is involved. Enough already! Say no to SIC programs or any type of pft training program. As a PAYING passenger I would not want to fly on a plane being flown by someone who is buying the time vs. someone who is properly qualified and was hired on his or her merits. It's one thing to share expenses on a personal flight involving no profit motive ie. a recreational flight to Martha's Vineyard in your own aircraft, sharing the cost of fuel. That's fine and perfectly legal not to mention great fun. But I for one would never fly as a passenger on a flight involving the first officer paying to be there!!!

Let's give this a rest...

C'mon, guys, let's leave this issue alone. It's like arguing religion and politics... you will never change the other side's opinion, you'll just go around and around endlessly.
If you are for it, fine. If not, fine, but as the origional poster said, this is beating a dead horse.

Let's put it to rest.

Re: Let's give this a rest...

Since some obviously did not see the humor in my reply, I have deleted the content to prevent further unrest within this discussion!

Sorry to have offended, contacting departure - good day!

Last edited:

Last edited:
"If it's not taking another person's job ( SIC in aircraft that don't require SIC for example),"

Wrong.

When a 135 operator uses a SIC in aircraft that don't normally require one, they get approval from the FAA. The operator benefits financially from the SIC because having an SIC can reduce take-off minimums and increase 135 flight time limitations from 8 hours for single pilot ops to 10 hours for two pilots. So YES, it is indeed taking another's job.

Yet another failed attempt to justify PFT.....There never has, and never will be a justification for PFT. Stop trying to rationalize away your guilt.

I used to fly for a company out of STP, as a PIC, and I earned all my time the hard way. We did have a PFT SIC program, some of those who did it were simply spoiled brats whose parents bought all of the time for them, others were people who worked full-time and actually had the money to do it. I did enjoy having a second person in the cockpit, as a safety issue. I didn't enjoy it when it became apparent that the putz sitting next to me didn't belong in a 152 by himself muchless a twin in Hard IFR conditions. If I were interviewing someone for an airline position, I would definitely be hesistant to hire someone that paid for all of their time rather than busting their ass for it. My two cents...

narrow minds

listen Saabtrash( and all of you with this same narrow minded ill-informed opinion) I am neither a spoiled brash nor a badstick kid who doesn't belong in a 152. I am a full time worker paying for this stuff OUT OF MY POCKET , barely affording twin time in a manner which is much more challenging than any other option i have found available to me. You and all your narrow minded "gotta bust your butt" types think you have it all figured out...I fly in hard IFR in this part of the country every single day this time if year. The pilots i fly with have no problem with an SIC on board. THey find it safer, AND they learn techniques in CRM that they wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to practice in the single pilot environment..PLUS they get paid a couple bucks extra per hour.

Look, i am not going to try and defend my position any more. It is obvious that you guys have made up your minds with the little incorrect information you seem to have on the subject, even resorting to accusational stereotypes that are completely inaccurate. I agree that in some cases PFT is a bad,irreproachable thing. But, consider that it is a case by case basis.
Me family and all their friends are in the airline industry. They are long time pilots with distinguished careers who have insisted ad infinitum that PFT (ie. the program which i am doing) is not only worthwhile but beneficial for a young pilot with relatively low time.
You seem to have a limited concept of what "busting you a$$" means. Open your mind a bit. you might learn something....

Latest resources

Back