bearing from or bearing to

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
Not true at all. They are charted both ways Just a cursory glance through my jepps results in both "to" and "from"

Were those enroute charts, the approach charts always had both on them. I looked for some examples on the US enroute but could not find any. I believe you are in Alaska if I recall and would more likely have some Low Frequency Airways left up there, no?

DC

bafanguy said:
Donsa,

When I first saw the question asked, my reaction was the same as yours....bearings are "TO". I think this may be what those of us of a "certain age" were taught; it's clearly what I remember.

My 1963 copy of "Air Navigation" by the US Navy Hydrographic Office says, "Note that the bearing of a radio station is the reciprocal of the direction of propagation of the radio wave." I think this is a roundabout way of saying "TO", i.e., the signal comes from the station measured as 270, the bearing is 090 ?

I looked in "Weems & Zweng" and found no definitive statement.

However, the AIM, "Pilot/Controller Glossary" states "...to or from any point...". And the "FAA Instrument Flying Handbook" says, "A bearing is simply the direction of a straight line between the aircraft and station, or vice-versa."

As you said earlier, just don't let there be any confusion bewteen you and the controller as to what the clearance is.

Could be age creeping up....as the King said in Siam...what was so is not. :)

Donsa320 said:
Were those enroute charts, the approach charts always had both on them. I looked for some examples on the US enroute but could not find any. I believe you are in Alaska if I recall and would more likely have some Low Frequency Airways left up there, no?

DC
I was referring to approach plates. Yeah, I'm in Alaska and yeah we still have colored airways. On the enroute chart's it's all bearings from the NDB.

On my approach plated I can find instances where it specifically states "...via the 293 bearing from JNR NDB" nnd also "climb on 270 bearing JNR NDB to cross...." In the second case if you were climbing on the 270 bearing *to* the NDB, you'd be plowing rocks

Latest resources

Back