• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are not terrorists acts, the are "man caused disasters."
They are not terrorists, they are, "formerly known as enemy combatants."
They are not wars, they are "overseas contingencies operations."

Get your political correctives straight people!:p

War is the good and correct term.

What needs to be understood is that military operations are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to War. What is seen. What is not seen is the most important part of the war.

Like intelligence gathering through so-called warrantless wire-taps. Unless there is a War ... you can't have this. You would never suggest to a commander on the field on foreign soil he needed a warrant to exploit the electromagnetic spectrum to gather intelligence. Yet people complain about using our capabilities to listen in on people communicating with terrorists in foreign countries from within the United States... creating a safe-zone for terrorists to operate from on our own soil.

In my view ... if its war ... there can be no such restrictions on intelligence gathering. The battlefield is here ... so this is where we must employ all our capabilities.

I understand we are now reading Miranda rights to enemy captured in Afghanistan? "You have the right to remain silent." Really?

It is a War ... and it is an Axis of Evil. Its so obvious that is exactly what it is.

How about a war on propaganda? You should be the first to support it. After all, you took the bait and fell for it.

What ever happened to "Speak softly and carry a big stick"?

One problem...McCain lost.

Get f'ing over it. Terror is a feeling. You can't declare war on feelings, even if it's what you pin your hopes for election on. "Axis of Evil"? really? Do they consort? Are they really an "Axis"? I think not. They're just a group of countries that we don't like right now.

"so called warrantless wire-taps"...Who said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"? Probably a commie, eh? Oh wait, I think it was Ben Franklin! He only won the revolutionary war for the USA. What would he know? You would have a WAR simply to justify gross breaches of civil liberties? YOU are the communist if that is your view.

On 9/11 we lost 3,000 people. Every year 180,000 people die from diabetes. How about we declare a war on diabetes, spend 1/100th of what we already have on "terror" and declare MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! We could even get a really big banner and fly our president in on a fighter jet to announce our victory. You fricken righties are so oblivious it makes me want to puke. Thank God the GOP is self destructing. I'm all for a third party...one to replace the GOP and thier nut jobs.
I agree that arguing over semantics is stupid. I also agree with you on the civil liberties viewpoint. But I do believe the federal government has an obligation (one might argue it is it's primary constitutional obligation, the whole reason Franklin et al. decided the States needed to be United) to protect our citizens from harm from enemies foreign and domestic. You make the claim that this is not necessary because far greater numbers of Americans die from disease. That is illogical and contrary to the federal government's charter. Al Quaida needs to be engaged, and we need to defeat them, however you want to call the operation. We should throw all of our available resources at the problem (to fight in a half-assed manner is immoral as many would die for nothing), but the constitutional rights of American citizens should never be compromised along the way. I don't see how every American would not be on board with the above.

I agree with you.

I would argue though that the best way to fight extremists is not with bullets and bombs, but with education. Ever notice that the most religious areas in the world are also the least educated? From Americas "bible belt" to the Middle East. That correlation holds pretty true. Ignorance is the clay of religious fundamentalists.

I say find policies that promote democracy and hence education.

On the surface, it sounds like democracy is a good start for education, but the problem is with Islam in general, and the two biggest money backers of it worldwide (Saudi Arabia/Iran), it doesn't exist in anything but a token form.

Like it or not, with the tribal mentality infecting most of our problem areas, the only thing understood and respected is brute force when necessary.

I'll disagree on the Miranda rights reading by another poster. While it does seem stupid and I would prefer a SEAL take care of the problem and leave the clowns in a ditch, keeping them alive may have some use and conviction may need the Miranda reading without needing a seperate Military Junta justice system that could conceivably turn on us and the Constitution 100 years down the road.

I haven't heard the term Al Qaeda used in quite some time in regards to those who would do the US harm. Now we are fighting the Taliban. Do we even know who our true enemies are anymore?

I haven't heard the term Al Qaeda used in quite some time in regards to those who would do the US harm. Now we are fighting the Taliban. Do we even know who our true enemies are anymore?

Every American knows we are fighting Islamic fundamentalists. Some would have us believe, though, that we are only fighting a few criminals who should be treated as such. This serves the purposes of not having to choose sides in a religious war, not having to confront organized evil, and not having to devote national resources abroad, when they could be used for social programs at home.

Latest resources

Back