Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BBC's take on the U.S. regional industry.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To say, "well that's the way it is" is not acceptable to me. Then I guess once in a while we'll just drive some aircraft into the ground because guys are flying around tired. Hopefully your loved ones aren't on board or in the house they crash into.

The FAA could do a few things just off the top of my head to help reduce fatigue:

1) minimum experience requirements for pilots in 121 operations. Raise the experience required so that regionals are forced to hire guys that have other options (in normal economic conditions) than just working for Mesa. That would kill 2 birds with one stone. First, it would get rid of 300 hour guys who, in my opinion, have no business flying in the right seat of anything a 121 operator flies. Second, it might put upward pressure on entry level wages as regionals would have a smaller pool of pilots to choose from.

2) Get rid of some of the more onerous rest rules. 15 hour duty days for pilots? GMAFB. At 12 hours, the parking brake should be set, period. Min rest block to block? Nope. It should be 9 hours (at least), in the hotel room, as determined by the PIC who will notify the 121 operator when he has arrived in his room and when his crew rest commences. If they can trust him to fly a 30M jet, they can trust him to call when his rest starts.

I realize flying airplanes can sometimes be fatiguing (off body clock flying, international flying, etc.), but the airline industry and the FAA shouldn't be ADDING to the inherent fatigue levels that are inherent in airline operations by lackadaisical standards and practices.

I'm with you. Hopefully something positive can come from this accident not just for Colgan pilots but industry wide.

It would appear to me that you are all stabbing knives in different directions. I believe your questions should be what are WE, Im out of the business, going to do about it? Remember you will be deadheading on these flights with fatigued crews, min time crews. Perhaps your pilots should make it a certain standard in their contract language for who they hire, what they hire, and the rest required. The FAA requires 8hrs min. There is nothing that stops any of you from fighting to get 10 hr min door open to door lock(hotel). There is nothing that states your training departments cant shop the feeder airlines for issues.

These lawyers and business people are just that, its your arse in the seat and your family on these planes...

if you fight together they battle will be much easier.

FOQA is on the way at ASA. It will be worked out just like the ASAP program, in that any data found will not be used against the individual pilots. The FDR downloads will show things like flap overspeeds, stabilized approach parameters, engine exceedances, go arounds, etc. The goal is to see what is really happening on the line. As we all know, no one flies the same with someone sitting on the jumpseat, but FOQA records every flight. Over time, you begin to see patterns, and those data can be used to strengthen the deficient areas during recurrent events. (Not for individuals, but for the entire group.)

We, as pilots, should be supportive of any safety program, since our lives are on the line day after day. We all know that the FARs do not guarantee safety. Safety is each individual's personal responsibility.

Yossarian:If you don't say anything, we send you out to fly. If you say you're fatigued, we say it's in the rules that it's your responsibilty to show up ready to fly. It's the catch 22.
Shrink:That's some catch, that catch 22.
Yossarian:It's the best there is.

Looks like Cohen recently reread the book.

All that sounds like the ASAP program then. (which we do have at ASA) Same thing, different name?

It's more like the LOQA program at ASA but uses FDR data rather than observed data. FOQA is very expensive to implement and manage, so many airlines don't use it, even though it would be a very useful and anonymous tool.

to say, "well that's the way it is" is not acceptable to me. Then i guess once in a while we'll just drive some aircraft into the ground because guys are flying around tired. Hopefully your loved ones aren't on board or in the house they crash into.

The faa could do a few things just off the top of my head to help reduce fatigue:

1) minimum experience requirements for pilots in 121 operations. Raise the experience required so that regionals are forced to hire guys that have other options (in normal economic conditions) than just working for mesa. That would kill 2 birds with one stone. First, it would get rid of 300 hour guys who, in my opinion, have no business flying in the right seat of anything a 121 operator flies. Second, it might put upward pressure on entry level wages as regionals would have a smaller pool of pilots to choose from.

2) get rid of some of the more onerous rest rules. 15 hour duty days for pilots? Gmafb. At 12 hours, the parking brake should be set, period. Min rest block to block? Nope. It should be 9 hours (at least), in the hotel room, as determined by the pic who will notify the 121 operator when he has arrived in his room and when his crew rest commences. If they can trust him to fly a 30m jet, they can trust him to call when his rest starts.

I realize flying airplanes can sometimes be fatiguing (off body clock flying, international flying, etc.), but the airline industry and the faa shouldn't be adding to the inherent fatigue levels that are inherent in airline operations by lackadaisical standards and practices.

amen!

Latest resources

Back