• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bay Area AME.... watch out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What condition do you have to bring paperwork for?

I'm on blood pressure meds and have never provided anything for those.

I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with the moderator, but I posted my experience for the benefit of my fellow pilots. I did not say anything derogatory about Dr ************, but merely detailed my experience in his office. Find me a pilot who wants to be on the phone with the FAA 10 minutes after walking into the AME's office. I'm sure there are pilots who have had positive experiences with Dr ******** office, but I was not one of them. They are free to post their experiences on this thread. It seems to me that this is exactly the kind of information that should be posted on this forum. I sure wish I had seen something like this before venturing into this AME's office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so can we post POSITIVE reviews of AME's?

That way we'll know to steer clear of those who may not be listed.

Either way, FI could be incredibly helpful for finding a qualified AME who isn't a ball buster.

Is it possible to set up a thread where AME's are listed by state and members could provide a ranking for each?

Maybe the OP's doctor could learn to adjust his office procedures so that there isn't an issue with the next applicant.

Whether posted online or by word of mouth, a doctor with a questionable practice will be outted in time.

Well...just allow me to say that my AME has gone to bat for me on more than one occasion.

Given what he has done for me in the past...I would even pay him double ( shhhh...don't tell him I said that )

Of course there is more to the story... I didn't think the folks on flightinfo wanted my medical history. I posted this just for the benefit of others who may be looking for an AME in the Bay area. I don't know what most folks want from an AME, but I want quick and easy. My experience was a long way from that.

I have nothing to hide from the Doctor or from the FAA. I just failed to bring supporting paperwork regarding my medical history (paperwork I had never been asked to provide before). When I told the receptionist I had never been asked for this paperwork before, she got angry and called the FAA to have them flag my file. She then handed the phone to me so that I could explain myself to some FAA Doc in OKC... not fun.

One thing I learned....once you start to fill out the FAA 8500, the AME is required to send the form to the FAA, whether or not you actually complete the physical.

Hey, this is just one pilot's experience. Perhaps Dr K is the best of the best, but I won't be going back to that office again. Take it for what it's worth.

I hope you get your medical okay. You need to look at this situation the same way you would handle a checkride, meaning being prepared. My case for example I have to take blood pressure medication. I get all the paperwork taken care of whether the FAA OR AME request it or not. I have been doing this for seven years with three different doctors and no problems.

I did talk to the AOPA and they emphasize about having paperwork to back up a medical condition that an AME or the FAA could flag you on later.

good luck

What paperwork? I've never taken any in for blood pressure. What do you ask your doctor for?

Nor had I. According to Dr Kriegbaum office (and the FAA doctor in OKC with whom I spoke), I should have shown up with a note from the physician who prescribed the BP meds documenting my last BP readings along with a statement that my BP was stable and controlled. With that note, I'm guessing they wouldn't even bother taking your BP at your flight physical....NOT.

Steer clear of Dr Kriegbaum and you should be OK.

And I aplogize that this Doctor's name keeps getting edited out of my posts. It doesn't really do anyone much good without his name. It appears the moderators feel I am committing some sort of slander.

Last edited by a moderator:
What paperwork? I've never taken any in for blood pressure. What do you ask your doctor for?

The paperwork is a light formality that was ask for by oak city saying that they would like to see a letter from the treating doctor saying your blood pressure is under controlled and you have no side effects from taking the medication or medications.

I use it as protection just in case a physical is completed and the FAA would like to see more information. It is better to take care of it up front than to have them send a letter to you later saying more information or else. The FAA have been famous in the past about sending nastygrams to airmen about missing information. They do not understand I did not know or you forgot.

On Belay,

I said it was fine to post his name. One of the other mods was not kept in the loop on this and deleted the name bacause of the earlier deletions by me...before we talked. He did it by mistake.

Thanks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back