• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bay Area AME.... watch out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just returned from a visit to ******************** in SJC. It felt to me like Gestapo headquarters. Although I've been getting Class I medical exams for 15 years with various AMEs, I left Dr ************** office without a medical, having spent the majority of my hour in the office speaking with the FAA (not by my choice, the receptionist called them on my behalf). Believe it or not, I never even got to see the Doctor, or for that matter, anyone but the receptionist (picture Broom Hilda here). That's right, all I did was fill out the 8500 just as I had for the past 15 years. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this AME!!!!!

Care to explain what you were talking about to the FAA about for almost an hour? Sorry, but with the information you provided us here, this really doesn't make any sense. Did you ever surrender your medical certificate to the receptionist? If so, what authority does a receptionist have to hold your medical certificate? You're not telling us the whole story here. What is the real issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Care to explain what you were talking about to the FAA about for almost an hour? Sorry, but with the information you provided us here, this really doesn't make any sense. Did you ever surrender your medical certificate to the receptionist? If so, what authority does a receptionist have to hold your medical certificate? You're not telling us the whole story here. What is the real issue?

Of course there is more to the story... I didn't think the folks on flightinfo wanted my medical history. I posted this just for the benefit of others who may be looking for an AME in the Bay area. I don't know what most folks want from an AME, but I want quick and easy. My experience was a long way from that.

I have nothing to hide from the Doctor or from the FAA. I just failed to bring supporting paperwork regarding my medical history (paperwork I had never been asked to provide before). When I told the receptionist I had never been asked for this paperwork before, she got angry and called the FAA to have them flag my file. She then handed the phone to me so that I could explain myself to some FAA Doc in OKC... not fun.

One thing I learned....once you start to fill out the FAA 8500, the AME is required to send the form to the FAA, whether or not you actually complete the physical.

Hey, this is just one pilot's experience. Perhaps Dr K is the best of the best, but I won't be going back to that office again. Take it for what it's worth.

One thing I learned....once you start to fill out the FAA 8500, the AME is required to send the form to the FAA, whether or not you actually complete the physical.

If you don't do the physical, the Feds have nothing with which to hold you, just some filled-in and mostly blank paperwork.

The conversation with the OKC Doc, did that Doc carefully line out which documentation you need for whatever issue? If not, you need to call back and get that information. Is this something a regional flight surgeon can deal with?

Are you expecting a letter from CAMI/OKC suspending or revoking your medical until the paperwork is provided? Did the OKC or SJC DOC (not the phone lady) tell you at any point that your medical was invalid? If so, are you working you posterior off to get that paperwork?

Finally, before stepping into the new AME's office, call them and verify that they will be able to smooth the ruffled feathers left by the previous visit and are able solve any problems regarding the pile of paperwork expected or needed. And, that whatever has triggered the wrath of the previous receptionist will not interfere with your being issued a medical on the same day, even if the new AME has to consult with regional or OKC before issuing.

Good luck!

MOD INPUT.

While the FAA medical is a HUGE deal and its unfortunate that you had an issue with this doctor, his name was removed from the forum. This doctor does not have a chance to get on a public forum and defend himself for what happened. I do agree that it really sucks that this happened so what I would like to recommend is that if someone wants to know what doctor you had an issue with, please use the PM feature. I have received a few complaint from members who have used the doctor that you named without any issue. Once again, to get on the public forum and out a doctor and his office for possible unfair treatment without his defense cannot be allowed to stay on the public forum. I would love to have the heads up on what Dr's are bad and which ones are good, but in this situation, a PM between members would be the best course of action.

Thanks,
Longhorn

Last edited:
remember guys, the AME is not your friend.

Actually the AME I've seen for the last ten years is my friend. He would go to bat for me with the Feds as long as it took to clear something up, of that I'm sure.

But I do agree, there are some out there that you need to steer clear of.

What p!sses me off these days is that for about a month before and a month after my medical is due, I get all these solicitations in the mail from local AME's wanting to make a buck off of me.

Thanks FAA for giving my personal info out to anyone and everyone.

I have to disagree.

If the AME's office is not following standard procedure and causing potential issues with something as IMPORTANT as a medical, this information should not be censored. Any complications with this process can mean losing all flight privileges which can be disasterous. It is quite easy to lose and very difficult to get back.

There are plenty of physicians that are ranked all over the internet, why should an AME in an aviation forum be any different.

Perhaps we could have this thread moved to the medical section. Maybe a poll or ranking of sorts for AME's that we've used and found to be competent and most of all, strive to make the process quick and painless.

What p!sses me off these days is that for about a month before and a month after my medical is due, I get all these solicitations in the mail from local AME's wanting to make a buck off of me.

Thanks FAA for giving my personal info out to anyone and everyone.

They obtain the information from the FAA public database. You can opt out to have your address removed. Go to the FAA site and make the request.

Amish, I agree with you 100%....but...we are hearing this info from one side and without the defense of the doctor or his staff. To add to that is that I have received 3 PMs and a reported post from members who HAVE use this AME without any issue. The original post did not give much info other than the staff was the only contact in which he had and that he had NEVER seen the doctor there...so once again, to paint this doctor as a bad doctor to go to on a public aviation forum, after stating that he never saw the doctor himself, is not fair to the practice of that doctor. That is why I suggested the PM feature. To the original poster, this is not a slam towards you are me trying to lessen your situation, I know its tough and can be stressful. I hope you can see where I am coming from on this though.

LH

Last edited:
MOD INPUT.

While the FAA medical is a HUGE deal and its unfortunate that you had an issue with this doctor, his name was removed from the forum. This doctor does not have a chance to get on a public forum and defend himself for what happened. I do agree that it really sucks that this happened so what I would like to recommend is that if someone wants to know what doctor you had an issue with, please use the PM feature. I have received a few complaint from members who have used the doctor that you named without any issue. Once again, to get on the public forum and out a doctor and his office for possible unfair treatment without his defense cannot be allowed to stay on the public forum. I would love to have the heads up on what Dr's are bad and which ones are good, but in this situation, a PM between members would be the best course of action.

Thanks,
Longhorn

Hey Longhorn, I agree that the PM function would be a better way but...this is not a public forum, it's a membership fee-based forum. Right?

Ok, I will agree with you on that to a point. While it is a membership fee site, there are no restrictions on the pulic for signing up. As an example, at bluepilots you have to be a JetBlue pilot and the verify it. That is a true private site. I would call FI a public site with a paid membership. Having said that, the decision to not post the doctors name does not change.

Good point though!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back