• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Barron's breaks down industry.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But it works out the other way many times as I have a family friend who bought a Hawker 400 card and found himself flying on an Ultra most of the time as netjets told him that all light jets are fully interchangeable. He felt it was quite a bit of a bait and switch game as he bought one plane and found himself on a much inferior plane.

OK smart guy,

Obviously your family friend is about as smart as you are. How is the Ultra inferior to the 400XP. Have you flown either of these jets?? Have you ridden in either of these jets?? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?? Or is this statement just another Jonjuan idiotic theory?? Think then post.

The Ultra's can carry more bags than the 400XP and can get in/out of shorter runways and has fewer performance limitations but that's about the only advantages it has. Safety and pax amenities are better in the 400, we have TCAS (only a few Ultras do), standard AC power outlets, and XM Satellite Radio. It rides turbulence better due to the swept wing. The 400 is a great jet for a group of business people with light luggage but if you're bringing the family home from Wally World with tons of bags and souvenirs you'd be better off with an Ultra.

Airbear

P.S.: I've flown both the Ultra and 400XP at NetJets.

The Ultra's can carry more bags than the 400XP and can get in/out of shorter runways and has fewer performance limitations but that's about the only advantages it has. Safety and pax amenities are better in the 400, we have TCAS (only a few Ultras do), standard AC power outlets, and XM Satellite Radio. It rides turbulence better due to the swept wing. The 400 is a great jet for a group of business people with light luggage but if you're bringing the family home from Wally World with tons of bags and souvenirs you'd be better off with an Ultra.

Airbear

P.S.: I've flown both the Ultra and 400XP at NetJets.

Serious question here. What does a swept wing have to do with a smoother flight through turbulence?

Also, the Ultra at NJA should be completely retrofitted with TCAS by the end of 2008. That is from Dave Robbins, the CP.

Serious question here. What does a swept wing have to do with a smoother flight through turbulence?

Might have something to do with the wing loading. The Beechjet does in fact ride turbulence better than a straight wing Citation. The BE400 rides turbulence like a speedboat over choppy water. The Citation wallows through turbulence like a King Air and makes people air sick.

Just my .02 of course.

Might have something to do with the wing loading. The Beechjet does in fact ride turbulence better than a straight wing Citation. The BE400 rides turbulence like a speedboat over choppy water. The Citation wallows through turbulence like a King Air and makes people air sick.

Just my .02 of course.
Bingo-a well thought out, unemotional, knowledgeable post-thank you and Airbear. The wing loading on the 400 is 67.6 lb/sq ft while the Ultra is 52.2. The downside is that the lower wing loaded aircraft will have a better rate of climb. Also, the 400 has a flat floor which is more comfortable for those paying the bills. TCAS also helps as safety equipment/avionics are important criteria when selecting an aircraft.

Long story short, it breaks the Felt Effect more due to the three-dimensional boundary layer (swept wing) as apposed to the two-dimensional boundary layer (strait wing).

But I am on my third beer. So I am just making this shtt up. :D

Also, the Ultra at NJA should be completely retrofitted with TCAS by the end of 2008. That is from Dave Robbins, the CP.

A swept wing makes less lift than a straight wing. Therefore it is less effected by updrafts and gusts, thus making a smoother ride.

Got it right out of the book. You're welcome.

Last edited:
I like airplanes that fly ABOVE the turbulence....like FL510:rolleyes:

Regarding how an airplane rides turbulence, it all has to do with the density altitude, coreolis effect, angle of decalage (positive or negative), and how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand.

Hope I cleared that up.

Don't listen to rtrhd; if he had been smart enough to be an aeronautical engineer, he would never have become a pilot.

[f.y.i. to those that have difficulty with the obvious; the above is written tongue firmly in cheek.]

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back