Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

peter185

Is this low?
What is the groups feeling about making a move from a piston twin to a single turboprop? FYI, it is a 1990 BE-58 with Known Icing, Air Conditioning, early 1990's avionics (except the GPS and Skywatch 497), and a useful load of only 1390 lbs. The missions would stay the same for the most part with 90% of the trips being under 500 NM. Looking to spend in the 1.2-1.5 million dollar range.

1.5 million? Why not bump it up to a King Air or something along those lines?

Turbine reliability!!! I fly a single engine turboprop and would take it any day of the week over a piston twin

Then yeh, go with a single turbine..

Well if pushed the TBM can go fast...cant carry alot and is a LOOOOOONG runway bird, Acquistion is more but the PC12 flies circles around it and makes a better all around people carrying airplane.
The TBM is tiny inside...thats why they need a pilot door
But the bottom line is.......Turbines are far superior to pistons

PC12Cowboy said:
Well if pushed the TBM can go fast...cant carry alot and is a LOOOOOONG runway bird, Acquistion is more but the PC12 flies circles around it and makes a better all around people carrying airplane.
The TBM is tiny inside...thats why they need a pilot door
But the bottom line is.......Turbines are far superior to pistons

Long runway bird? Have you ever flown one? I have... At max gross we would routinely take it into 2500' strips. The "B" models I flew at max gross required 2133' over a 50' obstacle. The PC12 requires 2300' for takeoff over a 50' obstacle at max gross.

At recommended cruise speeds at typical weights we would routinely see 290kts true airspeed with a relatively quick climb to altitude. The PC12 will take longer to get that high at twice the fuel burn and only see maybe 260 knots at a lower altitude and higher fuel burn.

The original poster specified that 90% of the legs would be less than 500nm. At that distance, the TBM700 can fill all the seats (6) and a good amount of baggage. The new "C2" model can fill the tanks AND the seats, then make it coast to coast with 1 stop (maybe 2 westbound). Figure 290 gallons at 40 gal/hour and 290 knots (minus climb fuel). A new TBM700C2 can be aquired for the cost of a used PC12.

The PC12 will also make it coast to coast with one stop, but it will burn more fuel and go slower. It's optimimum cruise altitude is lower. It will also cost more to insure, hangar, and maintain.

Also, none of the TBM's I've flown had a pilot door. The primary use of a pilot door is for freight carrying so you can fill the back with boxes. Otherwise, it's not difficult to get through the cabin.

That being said, I'm not knocking the PC12. It's for a different mission. The PC12 is a MUCH larger airplane. It has a toilet, and is typically configured with 7 seats in the back as opposed to the TBM's 4. It is more roomy. For 500nm missions, the TBM is pretty comfortable though. I never thought is was tiny. It's certainly roomier than the B58 the poster is currently using.

I once ran a Total Cost of Ownership analysis for a person considering a new B58, a used TBM700, and a used PC12. This is several years old (fuel costs have gone up) but assumed a east coast metropolitan area base (high hanger costs). At 400 hours per year, the B58 would cost about $800k over 5 years. At 350 hours per year (faster aircraft), the TBM700 was $1.1 million and the PC12 $1.4 million. These costs include everything, including professional pilot, and consider tax advantages and profit from sale at the end.

For a 500 nm IFR trip, the B58 could only carry 3 pax. The TBM700 5 pax and the PC12 a theoretical 9.

Hope this helps.

ackattacker,
Nice breakdown. Very well done. I'm going to pass this info on to a friend of mine that could use it too.

Latest resources

Back