• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Barger is out. Shares rally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love when pilots, who have nothing to do with the product once the cockpit door is shut, give up money because they "want to be proud of the product". Would you move the aircraft differently if you charged for bags, added a few more seats?

Last I checked you receive a 5% profit sharing check? You should want to be like spirit. For those that were at Jetblue in the beginning think how big that check would be if your stock was at 68 a share versus the 10 a share it is now??

When it's all said and done, what counts is what you retire with. Not the silly statements like the one below....

"Design plays such an integral part in our story," says Lisa Borromeo, JetBlue Director of Brand Management and Advertising, "While others may push revamped logos or disorienting paint schemes, we feel it's important to build a visual language as we grow. Our tailfin patterns will always reflect a fresh style, with a timeless appeal that is core to who we are as a brand."

Lol, a visual language? I'd say Jetblue gave you guys some "visual language" (and some physical) when they fisted you with your healthcare costs.

For those that are defined by their job, the company work for or the product in the back , no offense meant. For the rest that see their job as a means to an end, go after the cheddar. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Yes I do, I want to be as profitable as they are. No I'm not applying, I'm senior to you.

As a pilot for Spirit I do wish we did some things like Jetblue. Such as, take pride in the cleaning of our cabins... Sometimes it's very embarrassing, but most pilots are very adamant about getting the cabin cleaned when it's bad, even if it means delaying a flight.

Last edited:
I love when pilots, who have nothing to do with the product once the cockpit door is shut, give up money because they "want to be proud of the product". Would you move the aircraft differently if you charged for bags, added a few more seats?

Last I checked you receive a 5% profit sharing check? You should want to be like spirit. For those that were at Jetblue in the beginning think how big that check would be if your stock was at 68 a share versus the 10 a share it is now??

When it's all said and done, what counts is what you retire with. Not the silly statements like the one below....

"Design plays such an integral part in our story," says Lisa Borromeo, JetBlue Director of Brand Management and Advertising, "While others may push revamped logos or disorienting paint schemes, we feel it's important to build a visual language as we grow. Our tailfin patterns will always reflect a fresh style, with a timeless appeal that is core to who we are as a brand."

Lol, a visual language? I'd say Jetblue gave you guys some "visual language" (and some physical) when they fisted you with your healthcare costs.

For those that are defined by their job, the company work for or the product in the back , no offense meant. For the rest that see their job as a means to an end, go after the cheddar. No pun intended.

Um that's a pr person not a pilot.
I want to make money while treating people well, and I think you can do both.
Or maybe we could just do things the Spirit way.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...-checked-bag-fee-for-holiday-travel/16092067/
And totally F the pax....
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/baggage-airline-fee-revenues-draw-tax-scrutiny-93073.html
Just hope the government never decides to tax all your fees.
But in the end it's a free market and people fly who they fly, jetblue will adapt or die.

Last edited:
Um that's a pr person not a pilot.
I want to make money while treating people well, and I think you can do both.
Or maybe we could just do things the Spirit way.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...-checked-bag-fee-for-holiday-travel/16092067/
And totally F the pax....
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/baggage-airline-fee-revenues-draw-tax-scrutiny-93073.html
Just hope the government never decides to tax all your fees.
But in the end it's a free market and people fly who they fly, jetblue will adapt or die.

Yes it's a pr person and you proved my point, but wall street says differently. Why do you care so much that you would lose money over it? Management doesn't care that you lose either, if they did apla wouldn't be on your property. It's just business.

As for losing taxes, the article said $8 bucks a head?? Guess who will pay for that? And every airline will lose.

Now let me show you a clip:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/panamas-copa-u-spirit-most-225214513.html

"Copa kept about $0.22 of every dollar of revenue for the year ending June 2014, according to the ranking. Spirit kept about $0.18 while Allegiant kept about $0.16...."

" This in part explains why JetBlue, which has come under criticism for not charging passengers for their first checked bag - a money-making tactic widely adopted by its peers - still ranked 19th with an operating margin of $0.08."

"Spirit also beefed up its margin by outfitting its Airbus A320 planes with 178 seats while JetBlue's only have 150 - which helps the budget carrier distribute its costs across more passengers, Kaplan said. He added that JetBlue would have ranked even lower had the metrics considered airlines' debt."

So again, why should you lose money? Would you treat the customer differently if jetblue added fees? Would you operate the aircraft differently? You're not in this for fun, but for income and you've put a lot of time, energy and money into your profession.

By the way, think about the above clip, you're negotiating a contract now and you can bet the company will be pointing it out.

Take care

Last edited:
Yes it's a pr person and you proved my point, but wall street says differently. Why do you care so much that you would lose money over it? Management doesn't care that you lose either, if they did apla wouldn't be on your property. It's just business.

As for losing taxes, the article said $8 bucks a head?? Guess who will pay for that? And every airline will lose.

Now let me show you a clip:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/panamas-copa-u-spirit-most-225214513.html

"Copa kept about $0.22 of every dollar of revenue for the year ending June 2014, according to the ranking. Spirit kept about $0.18 while Allegiant kept about $0.16...."

" This in part explains why JetBlue, which has come under criticism for not charging passengers for their first checked bag - a money-making tactic widely adopted by its peers - still ranked 19th with an operating margin of $0.08."

"Spirit also beefed up its margin by outfitting its Airbus A320 planes with 178 seats while JetBlue's only have 150 - which helps the budget carrier distribute its costs across more passengers, Kaplan said. He added that JetBlue would have ranked even lower had the metrics considered airlines' debt."

So again, why should you lose money? Would you treat the customer differently if jetblue added fees? Would you operate the aircraft differently? You're not in this for fun, but for income and you've put a lot of time, energy and money into your profession.

By the way, think about the above clip, you're negotiating a contract now and you can bet the company will be pointing it out.

Take care

I thought a few times before I posted because I didn't want to get into my airline is better than yours war.

So just a few points.

Could you tell me where jeblue pilots said they would prefer to lose money for the sake of the pax, all they said was they didn't like the spirit model just as you clearly don't like the jeblue model(and wall st). We are very much aganist losing money so much so that we voted over 70% for a union to ensure we are well payed with a future cba.

Your airline is built....BUILT.....on fees so it would have a very direct hit to your bottom line if the government ever did it. I guess you could pass it on in some new fee but that is for another day.

As you know we have now changed CEO's, the new guy has already said there will be fees but it will be done in a "value added" jetblue way.

In the end, I just thought it was odd that you would accuse our pilots of not wanting to make money, and instead of finding a quote from one of us you used a pr person to make your point.

I have a great respect for the spirit group but don't pretend that you are the highest paid pilots out there, you have a chance coming up and for all of us I hope you guys are successful, you have already proved that you are willing to strike.

Take care

I thought a few times before I posted because I didn't want to get into my airline is better than yours war.

So just a few points.

Could you tell me where jeblue pilots said they would prefer to lose money for the sake of the pax, all they said was they didn't like the spirit model just as you clearly don't like the jeblue model(and wall st). We are very much aganist losing money so much so that we voted over 70% for a union to ensure we are well payed with a future cba.

Your airline is built....BUILT.....on fees so it would have a very direct hit to your bottom line if the government ever did it. I guess you could pass it on in some new fee but that is for another day.

As you know we have now changed CEO's, the new guy has already said there will be fees but it will be done in a "value added" jetblue way.

In the end, I just thought it was odd that you would accuse our pilots of not wanting to make money, and instead of finding a quote from one of us you used a pr person to make your point.

I have a great respect for the spirit group but don't pretend that you are the highest paid pilots out there, you have a chance coming up and for all of us I hope you guys are successful, you have already proved that you are willing to strike.

Take care

No, no.... Sorry, not meant to be a d**k measuring contest. I was trying to only refer to one small piece of your compensation. You guys do have a great product, great airline and good compensation.

Our contract is sorely lacking in pay, but very good on work rules. I typically credit close to double what I block, but our contract is far behind on rates and retirement as it stands now. Lots of work to do.

Good luck with negotiations, were hoping for a great outcome.

Nuff said....

No, no.... Sorry, not meant to be a d**k measuring contest. I was trying to only refer to one small piece of your compensation. You guys do have a great product, great airline and good compensation.

Our contract is sorely lacking in pay, but very good on work rules. I typically credit close to double what I block, but our contract is far behind on rates and retirement as it stands now. Lots of work to do.

Good luck with negotiations, were hoping for a great outcome.

Nuff said....

The same to you man.
I would love to have that 4 day off deal.
I hope your negotiations go well.

Latest resources

Back