• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ban on tobacco urged in military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A.Tobacco is short term enjoyment. In the long term, it isn't even a question of soldiers "enjoying life":rolleyes: by using tobacco. Using your logic, why not let them enjoy heroin....you know, since they sacrifice their lives and all.

When you're headed down the driveway after 7+ hours of close air support over the Himalayas, you can talk. I have no problem with guys throwing a dip in, or a soldier lighting up after several hours of being shot at. We pay taxes, same as you. Don't give me that crap.

This to be followed by mandatory tobacco use random tests. E-5 and below found smoking, one more chance before being kicked out. E-6 and above immediate separation upon testing positive in tobacco use test. Ah! The good ole days when you could buy a carton of cigs for $1.00 once your ship pulled into international waters.

My logic had nothing to do with illegal drugs, did it? Simply enjoying the freedoms that most of us take for granted. You remember; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I will disengage now before someone confuses which one of us us the fool.

No worries. He's proven who the fool is on several forums.

I'm a non-smoker. But, I'm not buying the theory that banning smoking in the military will have a major effect on military medical costs. Except for the very few that stay 30+ years, military members are happy civilians long before the health effects of smoking start costing big money. Maybe retiree medical care and the VA will see some health care savings resulting from a military smoking ban, but I doubt that the active military will see any health care savings.

When you're headed down the driveway after 7+ hours of close air support over the Himalayas, you can talk.

No. I pay my taxes and vote. I can talk.

My logic had nothing to do with illegal drugs, did it? Simply enjoying the freedoms that most of us take for granted.

No, but the analogy of illegal drugs to health stands.

You remember; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I will disengage now before someone confuses which one of us us the fool.

As for illegal drugs, you can't say this and then be against legalization at the same time. However, that is another thread.

Latest resources

Back