Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B

BR549

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]NWA aims to end scope clause restrictions on large RJs in new pilot contract
Friday October 14, 2005
Northwest Airlines wants permission from its pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Assn., to create a new feeder carrier separate from the mainline that will operate aircraft seating up to 100 passengers in the Northwest Airlink program with "no numerical or use restrictions."The scope clause in the existing pilot contract sets a maximum size limit of 69 seats and a numerical limit of 54 RJs with 50-69 seats.

The information is contained in the company's Section 1113(c) proposal filed on Wednesday (ATWOnline, Oct. 13) and provided to ALPA. If NWA is unable to reach agreement consensually, it will ask the bankruptcy court to impose the changes. It is seeking $358 million in new savings from its pilots in addition to $250 million they contributed last year. Reductions in hourly pay account for 62% of the new savings goal.

The proposed airline--dubbed "Newco" in the filing--would be the exclusive operator of Airlink aircraft seating between 77 and 100 passengers. Pilots would be represented by ALPA but would not be on the NWA pilot seniority list and would be paid at "Regional airline industry average pilot labor costs." Their contract would include a no-strike/no-lockout clause, with wage disagreements subject to "binding expedited interest arbitration" and the arbitrator required "to apply a Regional airline industry average pilot labor cost standard."

NWA also wants authority to codeshare with feeder airlines operating aircraft seating up to 76 passengers with no numerical or use restrictions. It wants "no restrictions on domestic codesharing agreements with other domestic airlines," and the right to wet-lease up to 10% of scheduled block hours of international passenger flying.

Also in the contract, top pay for a 747-400 captain would fall from $232.18 per hour to $178.91, which, according to NWA, is the same scale used by United Airlines for its 777 captains. At the other end, a DC-9 first officer's top pay would drop from $110.51 to $61.11. The weighted average decrease is 28.4%.

by Perry Flint
[/FONT]

I believe most of the Newco pilots would be furloughed NW pilots, which really aren't on the mainline seniority list after they are furloughed. (they still have a NW number, though) Still, not a good precident.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I believe most of the Newco pilots would be furloughed NW pilots, which really aren't on the mainline seniority list after they are furloughed. (they still have a NW number, though) Still, not a good precident.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yawn....

This is the same stuff NWA has been putting out for since early this year. Nothing new in this "wish list". I'll be very suprised if they get this, even in BK, when the same flying can be done in-house, with a modified CBA for less than this proposal, and all the secondary costs with starting a whole new airline.

Uh…don’t the 9’s already have 100 seats? Why can’t the NWA guys fly the new 9s no matter who makes them? I was watching court TV today; it seems bus drivers make enough to do cocaine (he crashed under the influence). At least we could afford to snuff our pain away!

General Lee said:

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah that sure worked out real well for the Mid Atlantic guys didn't it? They're now Sh#t out of luck with the merger. I wouldn't be surprised if NWA sold Newco to Ornstein shortly after forming the new carrier.

Does any Nwa pilot on this board think any of those proposals have a chance of being implemented? That's about as rough a deal as the mechanics are up against.

Green said:
Does any Nwa pilot on this board think any of those proposals have a chance of being implemented? That's about as rough a deal as the mechanics are up against.

It is up to the judge, doesn't look good.

Newco will hurt Nwa as well as the redtail guys.

Dave B

Don't worry, guys.

I am sure some of those tough-talking NWA pilots who like to give our pilots a ration of grief when they ask for a jumpseat ride would never take a deal like this. . . . why, this would have them working for much less than AirTran pilots!

No, this will never pass . . . . hhmmmmmf.

Latest resources

Back