Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
A reduction bid was posted today that reduces 12 MD FO positions in Seattle and 4 737 FO positions in LA, both effective 3-2-05. That was the same day the bid with 34 new hires was to become effective. I'm pretty sure that means only 18 new hires on 3-2-05, 12 in ANC, 6 in SEA, and none in LA.

Drat.

I just read it!!!!

PLEASE POST FOR PILOT INFORMATION!
REDUCTIONS​

In accordance with Section 10.F of the Pilot’s Working Agreement with Alaska Airlines, the following positions will be reduced:​

Seattle MD83 Base​

Twelve (12) Permanent First Officers​
Twelve is to reduce new hires due to a reduction in staffing needs.

Effective 02March2005

Los Angeles B737 Base​

Four (4) Permanent First Officers​

Four is to reduce new hires due to a reduction in staffing needs.
Effective 02March2005

I wonder if this is simply due to the fact that they lost a bunch of poolies and can do without hiring until TA.​

From what I have gathered, it sounded like the pool is around 18-20 for pilots that would be able to accept a class date. Some have been hired on at other carriers, and some are back on active duty. It looks like no other pilots will be brought in untill a TA is passed. This does not look like bad news for poolies, just bad news for those that wanted to slip into one of those 34 slots that would no longer be able to be filled due to lack of poolies.

I hope you're right Barberpole. Actually, it makes quite a bit of sense, since they would have had time to contact people for class dates and determine who is available and who isn't. I'm glad to apologize for being an alarmist if that is the case.

From a poolie...

I think you are giving the company too much credit!!!

No one from Alaska has given me a call to see if I'm still "in the pool". As far as I'm concerned this had nothing to do with any "reduced" numbers in the pool, whether real or assumed.
Regardless of the size of the pool and positions available to new hires, things should change dramatically when the contract is signed. All poolies (however many of us there are left) should have class dates and those on the "to be called list" (which includes about 75 bodies) will be in the interview process. Given the fact that Alaska wants concessions, they will get them in arbitration. Then they'll announce a significant aircraft purchase and hiring will ramp up quickly to match delivery, expansion and retirements in the coming years. I think this will prove to be a great time to be working for Alaska. Not because of the way things have gone for the past two years, but because of things to come. Granted, for those waiting for an interview this doesn't sound great. But, things can only improve. I guess I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy...

Rhino said:
I guess I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy...
Dang, I guess you are!

I've given this one a little more thought... Alaska is going to lose about 70 pilots next year to retirement. Hiring 18 in March would not seem to cover the losses in time for next summer. Unless... They are confident in getting significant work rule changes which would result in a more efficient operation, and require fewer replacements for retiring pilots. Why would they be that confident? Perhaps that means that they like they way negotiations are going, and don't see them ending up in binding arbitration, where anything could happen. I've heard if they could just get bank vacation it would mean they could get by with 50 fewer captains. 50+18= a number very close to 70.

Anybodys guess.

Singlecoil,
So we have not hired in what, over two years now? How many have gone and not been replaced? Enough to make reserve a busy place to hang your hat.
If they opened the school house a year ago they couldn't keep up with the retirement numbers that are coming in 07, 08 and 09.

Why is it that any time I fly with a CA over the age of 55 he is talking about punching out if this contact doesn't go well? I'm talking about guys with less than 30 in - who are just willing to say goodbye and take the hit in retirement.

My prediction is that we will go to arbitration, we will loose banked vacation for the senior guys, we will loose the A-plan which will be replaced by something else, and the company will start hiring with a vengeance as soon as the dust settles. I also think that Alaska would love to pounce on any open markets, should some of our brothers cease to have a place to work.

I don't believe an arbitrator can or would dissolve a defined benifit plan, even bankruptcy judges loathe to go there. If changes are to be made they must be negotiated.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back