• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bad news for Alaska poolies...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to be alarmist, and I'm generally not a "glass half empty" kind of guy but I've been in this business long enough to see a few things ahead.

I think the reason the airline isn't hiring anybody, and is okay with retirees not being replaced, is because we have no scope language. I think if there is going to be a hiring boom it is going to be at Horizon, not Alaska. Everybody keeps saying, "they've got to start hiring soon for retirements". No they don't. Who said they plan on keeping "mainline" the size it is today or even two years ago. All signs point to a shrinking Alaska Airlines.

Why not? We have no scope, ALK ALPA, as far as I can tell, has never concerned themselves with it. Rj's now come in 100 seat models, and Horizon pilots are a heck of a lot cheaper. Recall that Alaska Bid on a mail Contract they knew they didn't have an airplane to fly. All our contract says about scope is that Alaska Pilots will perform all Alaska Airlines flying. That is the most basic scope languange in the industry. THE COMPANY WOULDN'T EVEN COMPLY WITH THAT. What was the big penelty ALPA made the company pay for abrogating our contract? 4 ANC pilots would recieve 85 hrs pay to sit on reserve. That's it. ALPA feels that 32 hours more pay for four pilots is adequate compensation for the company to throw out the contract for 1500 pilots. It doesn't bode well to say the least.

They're not hiring because they don't have any plans for expansion. This vision 2010 is nothing but the same old moldy carrot held out to pilot groups over the decades. The company says that they'll make so much money we'll expand by leaps and bound, buy aircraft and hire until the cows come home. What they'll really do is line their pockets with what was our money. There will be no growth, no hiring, and no aircraft. They are lying to you about 2010. History proves it. Not my pessimism.

If I was in the pool, I would find some way to get a 737 type rating and forget Alaska Airlines. Southwest is the only airline that actually does what they say. They plan it, fund it and execute it. Alaska Talks. That's it. Just a bunch of noise. No real planning, no funding and certainly no execution. Go to SWA and move on. Sorry to be a downer but I call it as I see it. Hoping for a Boom after the TA is either signed or shoved down our throats is futile.

Not a "glass half empty" kind of guy, eh ferlo? I would agree with that. Your glass (as well as your brain cavity) is COMPLETELY empty. The proof is in your posts. Every single one of them are nothing but continual b!tching about how bad things are, have been and will be at Alaska Airlines.

If it is so bad, just get the f*ck out of there. Come take my job instead. I'll gladly trade with you. You are the most miserable Alaska pilot I have ever seen on this board. I suppose the hiring that continues in the Alaska training dept (according to their website) is for instructors to train Horizon pilots. :rolleyes:

LOSER.

Last edited:
I agree with your insights on the lack of scope language. I hope we address this short coming. But I also think you need to take your meds. Everything you say on this board is a downer. Let the civil war begin.

ferlo said:
I don't want to be alarmist, and I'm generally not a "glass half empty" kind of guy but I've been in this business long enough to see a few things ahead.

I think the reason the airline isn't hiring anybody, and is okay with retirees not being replaced, is because we have no scope language. I think if there is going to be a hiring boom it is going to be at Horizon, not Alaska. Everybody keeps saying, "they've got to start hiring soon for retirements". No they don't. Who said they plan on keeping "mainline" the size it is today or even two years ago. All signs point to a shrinking Alaska Airlines.

Why not? We have no scope, ALK ALPA, as far as I can tell, has never concerned themselves with it. Rj's now come in 100 seat models, and Horizon pilots are a heck of a lot cheaper. Recall that Alaska Bid on a mail Contract they knew they didn't have an airplane to fly. All our contract says about scope is that Alaska Pilots will perform all Alaska Airlines flying. That is the most basic scope languange in the industry. THE COMPANY WOULDN'T EVEN COMPLY WITH THAT. What was the big penelty ALPA made the company pay for abrogating our contract? 4 ANC pilots would recieve 85 hrs pay to sit on reserve. That's it. ALPA feels that 32 hours more pay for four pilots is adequate compensation for the company to throw out the contract for 1500 pilots. It doesn't bode well to say the least.

They're not hiring because they don't have any plans for expansion. This vision 2010 is nothing but the same old moldy carrot held out to pilot groups over the decades. The company says that they'll make so much money we'll expand by leaps and bound, buy aircraft and hire until the cows come home. What they'll really do is line their pockets with what was our money. There will be no growth, no hiring, and no aircraft. They are lying to you about 2010. History proves it. Not my pessimism.

If I was in the pool, I would find some way to get a 737 type rating and forget Alaska Airlines. Southwest is the only airline that actually does what they say. They plan it, fund it and execute it. Alaska Talks. That's it. Just a bunch of noise. No real planning, no funding and certainly no execution. Go to SWA and move on. Sorry to be a downer but I call it as I see it. Hoping for a Boom after the TA is either signed or shoved down our throats is futile.

Last edited:
First of all, there will be no civil war from my end. We are one pilot group. We stick together. We may have a difference of opinion but that's far from a civil war.

Secondly, aside from wishful thinking and name calling what do you guys base your opinions? I deal in facts, not fantasy. Here are the facts of the last few years.

1) 1050 Alaska employees are layed off

2) 7 or 8 (I lost count) reduction bids

3) Horizon is now in the fly for hire buisiness with 70 seaters

4) A Stagnent hiring pool for two years.

5) The company said they want to grow LAX therefore they needed a co-terminal agreement. We gave it to them, they closed the MD-80 base.

6) They knowingly and willfully violated out meager scope clause with the mail contract.

7) They canceled/postponed aircraft deliveries.

That doesn't necessarily seem like the framework for a growing airline. I'm probably forgetting a few things as well but those are the highlights. Those are facts boys. I'm not emotional, I don't name call. As I said, I call it as I see it. If i'm wrong great. I'd love to be. Flame Away. BTW there is also no tooth fairy. Sorry.

FarginDooshbahg said:
Not a "glass half empty" kind of guy, eh ferlo? I would agree with that. Your glass (as well as your brain cavity) is COMPLETELY empty. The proof is in your posts. Every single one of them are nothing but continual b!tching about how bad things are, have been and will be at Alaska Airlines.

If it is so bad, just get the f*ck out of there. Come take my job instead. I'll gladly trade with you. You are the most miserable Alaska pilot I have ever seen on this board. I suppose the hiring that continues in the Alaska training dept (according to their website) is for instructors to train Horizon pilots. :rolleyes:

LOSER.

Dooshbag, the hiring in the training department is to allow line pilots to go back to the line....... Alaska is not "ramping up the training department", more like ramping down.... the place is a ghost town.......They allready know that the next 150 pilots are going to come from changes in the contract .... that is a fact.....I doubt they will hire anyone in the remainder of 04 or in 05......

BTW there is also no tooth fairy. Sorry.
Funny!
They allready know that the next 150 pilots are going to come from changes in the contract .... that is a fact
You know, I've been silently thinking that this was a possibility for a while now. You're the first person I've heard/seen mention it. Just curious, did you get this "fact" from someone in the know, or did it just seem obvious to you?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back