Backlash from "Fuel Conservation" cancellations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
Perception is stronger than reality, General. If the travelling public "thinks" their flight "may" be cancelled they will book away.TC

Sure, there is truth to that. AA started it. And, what about the Netjets guys sub-contracting their clients to other outfits because Netjet guys are pi$$ed about contract talks? Their business must be down too, right? Many airlines are doing this. I am sure it might be hurting advanced bookings for everyone.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General:

Your Priceline and Orbitz buyers probably will not know or care. Buyers like us who go straight to Delta.com and book by the destination and time are scrambling for other options. Once we find something else that works, we probably will not be back unless something happens with that option. Business people are busy and don't have time to be bothered with last minute interruptions to their travel schedule.

Weather and mechanical delays can be understood. Cancelling a flight because the airline put the wrong sized equipment on the route and no can't justify operating it is not acceptable.

General,

I have to agree with the other guys about this one. Our managers have made another very poor decision with this one. I know that the PR department is trying to do some damage control by putting out that they will try and call all passengers for a canceled flight atleast two days ahead of time but that doesn't make Joe traveling public feel any better when they need to get to a certain place at a certain time. We've modified out contract almost 50 times to fix management screw ups and each time we do they find another way to alienate our passengers.

DAL737FO
for now

General Lee said:
Sure, there is truth to that. AA started it.
Bye Bye--General Lee

There's a big difference between what AA announced and what DL announced.

AA announced specifically that certain flights were being cancelled in October. These flights were removed from reservations and can not be booked. AA even went as far as to announce the specific route pairings that were taking cuts.

DL isn't removing any flights. They are just telling people that at any given time they may cancel your flight if the load is light. There's no way to know if DL will cancel your flight until two days before hand.

With AA, you know in advance where the cuts are being made. With DL, it's a total surprise. Business people don't like surprises.

Are you sure it is a total surprise? I was told they call them two days in advance and they only cancel the flights if BOTH ways are almost empty. As far as walkups, they probably call on the way to the airport, and that flight would be cancelled two days prior. The agent would direct them to the next flight available. Walkups don't know usually if the flight they want would be open anyway. A lot of the flights have been totally full. (Not all obviously) Walking up for a ticket is always a chance since some flights are totally full. To allow flights to go out almost empty both ways (a turn) is financially wrong, especially if another flight is an hour away. This is the slow season, and people will return during the holidays and during the peak Spring and Summer.

Bye Bye--General Lee

~~~^~~~ said:
General:

Your Priceline and Orbitz buyers probably will not know or care. Buyers like us who go straight to Delta.com and book by the destination and time are scrambling for other options. Once we find something else that works, we probably will not be back unless something happens with that option. Business people are busy and don't have time to be bothered with last minute interruptions to their travel schedule.

Weather and mechanical delays can be understood. Cancelling a flight because the airline put the wrong sized equipment on the route and no can't justify operating it is not acceptable.

We have had "wrong equipment"----RJs----on most of our routes for some time now thanks to Fred Greed, and most people have stuck with us. People in the US have short memories. We also have 40 million Skymiles members that won't give that up.

Where do you get "last minute" changes? They said 2 days in advance for notice. And, as I said before, walkup people don't really know if the next flight they walk up to is full or not. The flight may already be full. What do they do then? They wait for the next one with an open seat. Same applies here. There was no guarantee the flight they wanted was available anyway.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General, I have heard of drinking the kool-ade,but good Lord. Could I just hear you admit one time that your mgmt. has no clue what they are doing. You keep defending them even when they rape you repeatedly. You are starting to sound as if you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Perhaps because you see all of the "RJ" pilots out there taking a beating, this is the cause of your rosy attiude, but I assure you that we will not be the sole sacrificial lamb in this round. But now that we are competing for aircraft and our rates are being undercut by mainline carriers, we can all expect to be applying for wellfare in the near future. Maybe for once in your life you should forget that EGO of yours and realize that just because you fly a bigger airplane that dosen't make you better, or any safer.

outtahere said:
General, I have heard of drinking the kool-ade,but good Lord. Could I just hear you admit one time that your mgmt. has no clue what they are doing. You keep defending them even when they rape you repeatedly. You are starting to sound as if you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Perhaps because you see all of the "RJ" pilots out there taking a beating, this is the cause of your rosy attiude, but I assure you that we will not be the sole sacrificial lamb in this round. But now that we are competing for aircraft and our rates are being undercut by mainline carriers, we can all expect to be applying for wellfare in the near future. Maybe for once in your life you should forget that EGO of yours and realize that just because you fly a bigger airplane that dosen't make you better, or any safer.

That is ridiculous. I know we have some large problems at Delta, and I don't drink the kool-aid. I do try to look at the problems and I come up with my own opinions, which is legal on this board. If you want to debate them with me, fine. When I blame RJs for problems, I am not blaming the pilots inside who really have no say in the matter. Some of them do gloat about growing, and then are sad when they downsize. Same goes on at mainline. It is my opinion that Fred Greed bought too many RJs, and now we have too many 50 seaters that do not produce enough revenue. Some will say that we should have allowed more 70 seaters, but they don't see that allowing that could have cannibalized us even more at the mainline. The mainline is "supposed" to be the place pilots want to end up, with better pay and benefits. Tough times right now is lowering that dream. I can see that, but I don't have to like it. SkyWest pilots started this bad trend with the signing of the 99 seats for 50 seat pay deal. Then Jetblue assigned their pilots a krappy wage on their future 100 seater. Now a judge may do the same with us. There is a big difference with those scenarios.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General: I called to see what was up with this announcement and was told as an example that flight 1746 cancelled LAX to ATL this morning. The passengers were not told until they were at the gate and there were not any Agents there. If you are near a Company terminal a Gate Agent can look it up for you.

Good goes round?

Also - the SkyWest pilots voted down the 50 seat pay for 70 to 90 seat airplanes. You should be giving them credit.

Delta might have a use for those pesky RJ's - they could use them to cover segments where they arbitraily decide to cancel a flight and screw their passengers at the last minute. Us RJ drivers have lousy contracts with short reserve call outs. If Delta had their crap together well enough to cancel a flight 48 hours in advance (which isn't the case) they could use RJ's to fill the gap in the schedule.

Latest resources

Back