Background Checks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mojo Risen

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of losing a job offer if I have three class b misdemeanors on my police record. These are all vehical speed related and are over a 10 year period. Any help on how to work around this in the interview would be great.

I did have another friend lose a job offer due to traffic violations. Mine are a litlle more serious.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mojo Risen said:
Can anyone tell me what the chances are of losing a job offer if I have three class b misdemeanors on my police record. These are all vehical speed related and are over a 10 year period. Any help on how to work around this in the interview would be great.

have you checked into applying for an expungement? I had one from afew years ago vehicle related as well. I went down to the courthouse, filed expungement paperwork, and they removed it. It takes afew months, so its not a quick process, but it works well. If they don't consider you a danger to society, and its been afew years, they will usually remove them.

I wouldn't try to "work around" it. Your best bet is to admit your mistakes, take responsibility for what you did and emphasize that you have had a clean record since.

A company finding out later about something you tried to "work around" is a sure fire kiss of death.

Finally, you can do your own background check with the FBI and the NDR and find out exactly what prospective companies will find out.

My state only allows expungement if you only have two on your record. I am currently trying to get one removed from two years ago. The court was to have it removed as long as I didn't have any more related traffic problems.

I do plan to let the interview know about any other problems if I cannot get these other two removed. I just don't know if they would ask in the interview about convictions. What about the they don't ask don't tell?

You definitely should find out what will show on your record with the NDR. If you are applying for an airline job, you will likely be asked to fill out a NDR database search consent form as part of your application paperwork. Not much chance of getting around having to fill out that form.

You don't give the details about how much time between convictions, when was last conviction. You said over a ten year period. If it was ten years with the last conviction being last year unfortunately you are probably in trouble for an airline job. You have to be able to explain in an interview how you had an isolated incident and learned from it. If your convictions are stretched over ten years and are for similar actions then this would probably be read by an employer as a pattern of behavior from which you learned nothing.

If several years have passed since your last conviction just disclose it tell the interviewer that you learned from it and point to having several years with a clean record as proof you learned your lesson. It would help if you were young when this happened and are older (perhaps married) and can display more maturity in your current lifestyle. Again unfortunately if you have a recent (within the last couple of years) convictions you are probably in bad shape.

The convictions are simular over a ten year period, relating to no responding to police instructions or giving info. None are DUI or drug related. Just speed infractions. My understanding is that non should be on your record after 7 years, but I will have to get some local info on that.

Does anyone know what Skywest does for background checks, I would like to apply in the next three months.

get a lawyer and have him help you out, couple hondo bucks, and you will sleep better. Every one has some skeletons in the closet, if they are small enough to hide them DO IT!

What do you mean when you say the convictions were "related" to not responding to police instructions or giving info? That in itself might be a problem, if the interviewer sees that you seem to have a problem obeying authority. You need to be a little more forthcoming about exactly what your infractions were. I spent a few years in law enforcement and I can tell you that a charge of not complying with an officer's instructions and a traffic violation are two ENTIRELY different things. Not trying to get on your case or anything, but that's the way I would look at it if I was conducting the interview.

Mojo you're being way too vague. You need to come clean on this. The people here will try to help you if you give all the pertinent info. If you have recent convictions you are going to have to figure out a way to deal with it in an interview. Many of the posters here have probably been there and can help but you won't give enough info for anyone to help. Also there are several people on this board who make hiring decisions and can tell you exactly what to do and what to expect when you are sitting across from an interviewer.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back