• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Background Checks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
have you checked into applying for an expungement?
For purposes of hiding it from a BG investigator, there is NO such thing in the United States of America. You need to run a search here, so I don't have to lay it all out again. But briefly ...

Every speeding ticket and every single arrest you have ever had, regardless of the final disposition, will be looked at by the folks completing the investigation. For purposes of a Federal BG Investigation ... there is no such thing as expungement, hidden convictions as a minor, or any of that other $h!t-house lawyer stuff.

I heard it directly from the mouth of the agent doing mine last Summer.

I know two people who lost jobs because they didn't believe it. Others here also know people who had it happen, including one long-time employee at a Regional who didn't fess up to a federal deal that promised his part would be 'buried' in exchange for cooperation. He was fired immediately. And you will be, too, sooner or later, probably sooner since 9/11.

Your mileage will not vary. Not this time.

Sorry. :(

Minh

Last edited:
Response to Background Checks

Slow down guys. I am not asking about how to hide my police BG check. What I am asking is what is the best way to provide the information to the interviewer.

I am sure that the application will request any information that may show up on the BG check, and I will be happy to provide it. But what I am asking, and am trying to get help on, is do I take copies of my BG to the interview, along with an explination for the infractions.

I currently have three convictions against me for speeding and failure to pull over for the officer. This was due to never having the police officers vehical in the mirrors. I did not run from the officer, I just did not see them in the mirror. I can atest that I have sold my Porsche. The BG shows that the three convictions, class B, are failure to respond to an officers instructions.

I have learned from them. But can I get past the interview with the BG like it is?

Tx.

Last edited:
Honesty

Be honest, Take your chances....We have let people go after getting hired for lying on the app. and as someone said before.....It always comes up.

The interesting thing to me is most (there are a few exceptions) airlines do not start background checks until you have started class, so you generally don't find out until you are in someone's office doing the Carpet dance!

Pay the money and have someone do a Background check for you, It's generally not that expensive, at least that way you know what the Airline is going to get!

Good Luck!

i have no authority in the aviation world...but i do work for a rather large insurance/annuity company and have a daily relationship with HR regarding reject qualifications.
we do a standard drug test and credit check for all new ee's...but for our MS/Exec. canidates we do a full background check.
AGpilot34 is dead on at least for certain corp. jobs. many employers are immediatly adverse to hiring anyone they feel might have issues with authority OR someone who doesn't like to follow rules (policy procedure protocol).
My advise is strickly corporate related, however i would do a full BG check on yourself so you can see what your prospect sees. if you have to disclose it, and i think you will, how many years apart are these infractions...if they are spread evenly over ten years, that is certainly a HUGE obstical to overcome. summary, don't make excuses. give your side of the story-but MOST IMPORTANTLY DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES FOR YOUR ACTIONS. to an employer, that means you still think you are right or you haven't learned...or you are not sorry. i would have an explaination rehearsed and be SINCERE! hope this helps.

Arrests w/o convictions

This is a different question, but how much would arrests that didn't result in convictions adversely affect your chances of getting hired?

i have no idea about hiring into an airline. i don't know what they look for. i work for an Insurance/Annuity firm and work with our HR department and hire masters degree grads directly into our executive program. i don't hire directly but i do have some say on what reasons we should NOT hire someone. (and as exciting as all that is...my dream or mid life crisis or whatever is to fly...so if you're flying now...you are way ahead of me or anyone else with clean records...bird in the hand??>>>)

my advise is do a BG check...is it even listed? can you prove the allegations were false or didn't stick? unfortunatly i'll sum it up like this. sometimes we have 4 grads, we have one slot. HR can start looking for reasons to narrow the list. frankly if Johnny was head eagle of the boyscouts (or whatever and i hate when hiring comes to this) and danny wasn't...johnny is one leg up on danny....it can come down to such petty matters. so if johnny has a conviction, or an arrest or questionable history (employer repellant :)) then he is easily not an option.

now...if there are 4 applicants and 4 slots etc...you get the picture. as hiring increases, qualifications decrease. it's the same with any industry to some level i believe.

Guitar Guy said:
You definitely should find out what will show on your record with the NDR. If you are applying for an airline job, you will likely be asked to fill out a NDR database search consent form as part of your application paperwork. Not much chance of getting around having to fill out that form.

Where can you find out about you BG record??

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back