Background Check and Fingerprints

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure about all the SIDA regs but the 12.5 rule summary below

SUMMARY: This rule requires that certain aircraft operators using aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or more carry out security measures. This rule requires that certain aircraft operators conduct criminal history records checks on their flightcrew members, and restrict access to the flight deck. These measures are necessary to comply with Congressional mandates and to enhance security in air transportation.

troy said:
Am I correct in saying that the SIDA regulations apply now to 135 ops over 12,500?

SIDA only occurs on a scheduled air carrier ramp. I stands for Security IDentification Area. You only need one if you're on the passenger terminal ramp. Flight crews do not require them if they are not at their home airport, have a valid company ID displayed above the waist, on the outer layer of clothing, and in the immediate vicinity of their aircraft.

From the link that mike1mc posted....it layed out the requirements for the SIDA badge. I was (assuming) that it was going to apply to the 12.5 background check also.....

I cant get a SIDA badge and was wondering if TSA is starting to enforce their SIDA policy onto 135 ops.

Last edited:
icefr8dawg said:
Not sure about all the SIDA regs but the 12.5 rule summary below

SUMMARY: This rule requires that certain aircraft operators using aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or more carry out security measures. This rule requires that certain aircraft operators conduct criminal history records checks on their flightcrew members, and restrict access to the flight deck. These measures are necessary to comply with Congressional mandates and to enhance security in air transportation.

The original rule was worded that way - inclusive of 12,500 lbs - which included aircraft like the BE-200. In the summer of 2004 they changed the wording to fit the FAA definition. It now reads over 12,500 (not inclusive).

I know i have some reading to do..but we are based at a major airport and everyone has SIDA badges.

Does the SIDA requirements trump the 12-5? Does the airports SIDA badging office keep up with the no-fly lists or does someone have to do that each time that comes out.

Don't forget, no matter what your size, if you're hauling mail the U.S. Snail Service have their own background checks you must comply with.

I know i have some reading to do..but we are based at a major airport and everyone has SIDA badges.

Does the SIDA requirements trump the 12-5? Does the airports SIDA badging office keep up with the no-fly lists or does someone have to do that each time that comes out.

You're talking multiple subjects, none of which are necessarily related.

No-fly lists have nothing to do with secure identification display areas. SIDA's have nothing to do with the twelve five program. PRIA has nothing to do with no fly lists, secure areas, or the twelve five program. TSA doesn't, either. None of them "trump" the other any more than housecats trump a ukele. They're entirely separate subjects.

Latest resources

Back