Back to flight instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

steve3137

Any advice (good read) for someone who hasn't flight instructed in a long time or flown GA? Looking to go back to it for a while, but not feeling prificient need to brush up. Thanks in advance.

Well the flight instructors handbook is always a good read, the Jepp isnt too bad either.

Its been about 18 months since I last instructed and I've been keeping up with the FIH every couple days now.

For the general piloting stuff you'd need the FAR/AIM, PHAK and AFH.

I keep my CFI current but haven't taught in over 5 years. If I ever go back to instructing I will invest several hours getting checked out in a piper or cessna and several hours of ground training with a CFI. Your new students will appreciate it.

I don't know your situation, but have a little advice if you are going back to flight instructing after being furloughed. I've been there myself.

Get training. It's amazing how an airplane that you may have once been very proficient in feels completely foreign. It'll come back quickly, but it's good to have an instructor who is proficient in the aircraft next to you. If your instructor has less experience than you make sure you brief him that you will be very rusty and expect him to treat you as a student.

Don't carry a chip on your shoulder. It won't make you feel any better to bad mouth your former company and no one wants to hear it anyway. Be happy that you are employed at all, many people are not.

Have fun. After all, that's why you started flying in the first place!

Hope this helps. If this isn't your situation maybe it'll help someone else.

Cheers!

You're not.

What's carb heat for again?? ;)

Good luck, try to have fun.

It's to prevent what brought down 3407.

Sheeesh. Don't you listen to the news?

I thought it was that dangerous autopilot!? ;)

I wonder if other professions get their jobs' descriptions, technical details and terminology as slaughtered by the news media as aviation's does? I mean do lawyers notice when they say case-law vs federal law?

When I was a kid I used to think that journalism was great thing, the search for the truth. Funny how I grew out of that one.

Latest resources

Back