Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Back the plane on ground using the thrust reverser.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This unusual maneouvre is easy (and safe) to acheive if you plane is a KingAir (as with many turbo props).

In some old magazine (and very old issue of Interavia), I read that the Falcon 900 is one of the few Jets with this maneouvre certified (the Boening BC-17 is another), using only the center engine.

Does somebody attempted it ?

Besides the aforementioned airplanes, does somebody know about other jet capable of the same maneuver?

What's about the experience?

Regards. (this is my first post)

Last edited:
F100, DC-9/MD-80 come to mind. I watched AA use this maneuver at FAT a couple of times.............Just don't hit the brakes.

It's an OK maneuver if you have mega ramp behind you. I watched an AA F100 back into the mud in CAE and a CO 727 back into a blast fence at LAS. Also, as Blue says don't hit the brakes or you'll end up on your tail and probably toast the brakes since they are not stressed to stop in that direction. Can't imagine a corporate operation where it would be justified. :)

Alot of airplanes are physically able to do this, it just depends on if your company has a program for it and has been approved for powerbacks.

I have done it before in a Challenger with CF-34 engines before, but that was for maintenance checks (not recomended).

I do not know if I will ever do that again because of all of the possibilities of damages that may result.

But I do know that in the simulator, you can reverse thrust and hit one brake and do a 180 degree turn on a dime!!!

BS Flag

OleGuy said:
Also, as Blue says don't hit the brakes or you'll end up on your tail and probably toast the brakes since they are not stressed to stop in that direction.

Sorry, gota throw the BS flag on that one.....there is no such thing for brakes being 'stressed' in a direction. I can take the outboard brake assy which will turn in one direction and install it on the inboard side and it turn in the other direction.
And, the bolts that they are installed on the axle don't care which direction the wheels turn either.

But then again, I don't know everything that a pilot knows........

Senior_Citizen said:
This unusual maneouvre is easy (and safe) to acheive if you plane is a KingAir (as with many turbo props).

In some old magazine (and very old issue of Interavia), I read that the Falcon 900 is one of the few Jets with this maneouvre certified (the Boening BC-17 is another), using only the center engine.

Does somebody attempted it ?

Besides the aforementioned airplanes, does somebody know about other jet capable of the same maneuver?

What's about the experience?

Regards. (this is my first post)

never heard this about the DA900....but Im always learning...

I just wouldn't think that one little wimpy a$$ noise maker on the 900 could move dried leaves nevermind a few thousand pounds of French garbage...

;) .

But my guess is MOST aircraft can powerback, the question is...is it "allowed"...well....if a fueler/handler leads you down a one way small taxiway at night in some 3rd world foreign $hithole then tells you the "tractor" is broken for 3 more days...well....then you gotta do what you gotta do....

:D .

Actualy,
This can be done in any "Turbo-Jet".
Your only real concern is FOD ingestion, Thats why you'll find that it is not approved for most jets since they tend to have underwing mounted engines which make FOD ingestion a real possibility.
I have done this in a 727 (approved ) and in a DC-8 ( not approved, but hey, when your stuck, your stuck! )
Also aircraft gross weight is an obviuos limitation! haven't tried it on the whale, but it might be fun! ( stupid, but fun. )

OleGuy said:
Can't imagine a corporate operation where it would be justified. :)

Yes, I know the risk of these maneouvre (higher than on turboprops), but sometimes is justified, when an small airfield lacks of pusher cars and you have no other options to get out of the parking area, due to saturation, mistakes, etc.

But this is an useful capability when you are on a remote field, with no ground support.

Thats is one reason why our F.Dep. is considering a DA-900Ex as the next adquisition, other are the Global 5000 and the G450, also tha DA-7x, We need to operate on some poors airfields (short field, poor pavement, no fuel, no support).

We are also considering to buy an medium jet with good field performance (Ce750,CL300,Raytheon H2000), and a fractional on other big iron, for few long hauls, our priority is to have full operational autonomy w/o ground support on these locations (ussualy at 3rd world countries).

Last edited:
I used to three point park the MU-2 when ever I got a chance. The line rats loved that one. Just be sure you look for FOD before you twist the blades If you don't want a dance at the bosses table:)

Latest resources

Back