• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes I do, you're powers of deduction are quite astounding.
I did apply to BA once back in the early nineties, they sent me a very nice letter to inform me that they were only hiring from their own school in Prestwick. It all worked out, I much prefer living in the US and enjoy my position at ValuJet, as you like to call us. I assume that was some sort of veiled insult on your behalf, very original I must say, first time I've heard that one.
I am a little choosy who I enjoy a beer with and I'm afraid you would not fit the bill.
Good afternoon madam.

This post is best read while imagining the voice of Stewie Griffin from Family Guy.

If you did have a single engine power loss on a 777, how much altitude would you need on the approach if the operating engine was unspooled and the airplane was completely dirtied up and on-speed to arrest the resulting sink?

I heard an interesting story about what might have caused this accident.

Supposedly, the prime minister's motorcade was on its way to the airport. Apparently they use some kind of jamming equipment. The story goes that the plane passed over the motorcade when it was on short final.

I know this story sounds far fetched but I thought I would relay it.

Maybe they ingested chemtrails!

If you did have a single engine power loss on a 777, how much altitude would you need on the approach if the operating engine was unspooled and the airplane was completely dirtied up and on-speed to arrest the resulting sink?

Why would the good engine be unspooled in the first place? That's simply not the way you land an airplane like this. When you start extending the flaps the engine go to "approach idle" and inhibit that completely unpsooled power setting. The B777 will land with flaps 30, 1EO without any problem however the normal 1EO config is for flaps to be set at 20 with flaps 5 for GA just like almost all other Boeings built today.

Why would the good engine be unspooled in the first place? That's simply not the way you land an airplane like this. When you start extending the flaps the engine go to "approach idle" and inhibit that completely unpsooled power setting. The B777 will land with flaps 30, 1EO without any problem however the normal 1EO config is for flaps to be set at 20 with flaps 5 for GA just like almost all other Boeings built today.

CHECK

January 24, 2008
The British Airways Boeing 777 that crash-landed at Heathrow Airport last week did not suffer a total power failure as it approached the airport, investigators said on Thursday.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said the 777's two engines failed to deliver extra thrust as it came into land, but did not cut out completely.

In a second preliminary report, investigators said they were still trying to work out what caused the lack of thrust during the flight's final moments.

"The engines both initially responded but after about three seconds the thrust of the right engine reduced," the report said. "Some eight seconds later the thrust reduced on the left engine to a similar level.

"The engines did not shut down and both engines continued to produce thrust at an engine speed above flight idle, but less than the commanded thrust."

The reason for the lack of thrust is not yet known. The plane, which was flying on autopilot, was carrying enough fuel.

Investigators will now examine the system which takes the fuel from the tanks to the engines.

Eighteen passengers were slightly injured when BA Flight 38 from Beijing landed short of the runway last Thursday.

The plane's undercarriage was ripped off and its wings damaged after it only just cleared the perimeter fence.

(Reuters)

I guess I just don't know enough about flammable liquids.

How can the landing gear pierce the fuel tanks, which reportedly had fuel in them, and not cause a fire?

I don't get it.

Latest resources

Back