• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, I guess the Times is actually the AAIB in drag....
Spooky2 is right, send em home..."they don't need no stinkin investigation!!"

Here is the new runway at LHR specially made for BA pilots....

LHRhereNOThere.gif

With the info available it doesn't appear to be pilot error. That being said, that was damn funny..:laugh:

I heard an interesting story about what might have caused this accident.

Supposedly, the prime minister's motorcade was on its way to the airport. Apparently they use some kind of jamming equipment. The story goes that the plane passed over the motorcade when it was on short final.

I know this story sounds far fetched but I thought I would relay it.

Yes, I would like that job, minus the llicorice in the pooper.

AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Accident to a Boeing 777-236, G-YMMM, on 17 January 2008 at 1243 hrs
Initial Report Update 23 January 2008

Since the issue of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) 1st Preliminary Report on Friday 18 January 2008 at 1700 hrs, work has continued on all fronts to identify why neither engine responded to throttle lever inputs during the final approach. The 150 tonne aircraft was moved from the threshold of Runway 27L to an airport apron on Sunday evening, allowing the airport to return to normal operations.

The AAIB, sensitive to the needs of the industry including Boeing, Rolls Royce, British Airways and other Boeing 777 operators and crews, is issuing this update to provide such further factual information as is now available.

As previously reported, whilst the aircraft was stabilised on an ILS approach with the autopilot engaged, the autothrust system commanded an increase in thrust from both engines. The engines both initially responded but after about 3 seconds the thrust of the right engine reduced. Some eight seconds later the thrust reduced on the left engine to a similar level. The engines did not shut down and both engines continued to produce thrust at an engine speed above flight idle, but less than the commanded thrust.

Recorded data indicates that an adequate fuel quantity was on board the aircraft and that the autothrottle and engine control commands were performing as expected prior to, and after, the reduction in thrust.

All possible scenarios that could explain the thrust reduction and continued lack of response of the engines to throttle lever inputs are being examined, in close cooperation with Boeing, Rolls Royce and British Airways. This work includes a detailed analysis and examination of the complete fuel flow path from the aircraft tanks to the engine fuel nozzles.

Further factual information will be released as and when available

The engines both initially responded but after about 3 seconds the thrust of the right engine reduced. Some eight seconds later the thrust reduced on the left engine to a similar level. The engines did not shut down and both engines continued to produce thrust at an engine speed above flight idle, but less than the commanded thrust.

Anybody know what the viscosity of Chinese H2O is, whilst the temperature is at or below 0 degrees Celsius?

Just trying to get this hijacked thread out of the muck. He had a great layover that night and I envy him but he did a great job of getting that plane down with no fatalities. It looks like no pilot error was involved and he will remain the hero. I still think cold fuel was the cause. Chinese fuel probably doesn't get international monitoring. Maybe the extra cold temps aloft and the load of fuel they got didn't let them spool up properly at 1000 ft and they didn't notice it til 600 ft.

Latest resources

Back