• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Roger that. I didn't say that Captain said anything about birds, I am just curious is something could have fodd'ed out the engines, such as birds, or whatever.

When I worked at a three letter agency, we studied the possibility of someone or something fodd'ing out engines at a low level. While I'm not attempting to inject conspiracy, the scenario is curiously similar to something we predicted and even practiced.

Though this is likely mechanical/electrical/software, it sure is odd.

Lots of conclusion jumping going on here.

First, you presume the engines failed, or were failing. There's nothing in the AAIB prelim that even hints at the engines failing. Not responsive to a thrust lever input is not the same as failing.

Second, where do you get the idea that the A/T system failed? The prelim clearly states that the A/T were calling for an appropriate increase in thrust that didn't materialize. The A/T is just a servo (or two) that moves the throttle lever to specified angle based upon the inputs from a bunch of different sources. If the power to drive the servos quits(which has not yet been proven in this case), then big deal, you just move the T/L by hand as you've always done. No A/T doesn't mean no engines.

Wth that said, an electronic glitch that impedes the ability of the engine EEC's to meter the proper amount of fuel based on the T/L angle is a different story.

Excuse me Mr. arrogant 777 systems guy, I was just asking a question, I haven't taken 777 ground school (or any Boeing for that matter). The A/T FAILED to facilitate increased thrust by the engines. The engines FAILED to produce increased thrust demanded by the A/T. I concurr that the engines could've stayed at a previous thrust level into the grass. I realize that the A/T could've not responded because of a failure somewhere else, I was asking what could have it been, and you jump all over me like I'm a Nazi.

I wasn't baiting anyone with 'fuel exhaustion' charges either. I didn't deserve your condescending response. Good day.

Had a line check yesterday and the check airman is friends with one of the Boeing test pilots. He said that one throttle retarded and then the other pushed up to compensate for the the other. Nothing happened and when the crew saw what was going on they tried to make a thrust correction and did not get the proper or required thrust. Said Boeing is very concerned and that it looks like the crew did everything correct and did a good job of not stalling out. Also said the fuel truck or tanks that last fueled the aircraft were being look at.

Finally got to the books and the statement in the Boeing 777 FCTM, page 1.33, dated Oct 31, 2007 says the following. Auto Throttles; "Autothrottle use is recommended during all phases of flight. When in manual flight, autotrotlte use is also recommended, however manual thrust control may be used to maintain pilot proficiency." So there you have it. Not exactly carved in stone, but pretty darn close in Boeing speak.

Hope this helps more than it hurts.

Thanks for digging that up.

It's a bit different, as you pointed out, than the Boeing 75/76 guidance.

Does it specify that the A/T's must be disconnected prior to a manual landing ? Or does the 77 mirror the Bus in that they are armed and active until touchdown?

Just curious.

Here is the new runway at LHR specially made for BA pilots....

LHRhereNOThere.gif

Thanks for digging that up.

It's a bit different, as you pointed out, than the Boeing 75/76 guidance.

Does it specify that the A/T's must be disconnected prior to a manual landing ? Or does the 77 mirror the Bus in that they are armed and active until touchdown?

Just curious.

The AT's start to retard at 25' when your hand flying the airplane. The AT system disconnents when you move the reverse levers aft. Good practice calls for the PF to follow through with the appropriate hand on the thrust levers at all times during the landing procedure so as to be ready to manually override if required.

Computer system suspected in Heathrow 777 crash

experts have suggested that the simultaneous failure of both engines of the BA 777 which last week crash-landed at Heathrow must have been caused by a computer glitch, the Times reports.

Computer system suspected in Heathrow 777 crash

experts have suggested that the simultaneous failure of both engines of the BA 777 which last week crash-landed at Heathrow must have been caused by a computer glitch, the Times reports.

Right.....the press is always spot on in the accident investigations. The officials might as well pack up and go home. Case closed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back