Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T45Flyer said:
Wow,
Not sure how you slipped through the cracks. That POS flying corndog will be here for many years, probably longer than you with that attitude. You better get use to it. Please inform the guys you fly with your insightful thoughts in the -300, I am sure they will agree.

And back to the origional thread, the Telex is very nice, low maintenance, and lighter that the Seinheiser. A Houston Captain named Debbie sells them to SWA employee's for a great discount from her flight school.

Lighten up Francis...I think you slipped through the cracks with your shortsighted humor. Clearly the -300 sucks from a pilot perspective and -700 superior. As is the -700 sucks compared to the 787. You however need a humor mod. Why is there always one of "you" in every group.

Last edited:
Would those folks using the Bose (Quiet Comfort 2 and boom mic.) mind commenting on what percentage of the time they're able to cover up both ears while flying....and still hear the CA? If investing in what is obviously a fine product, one would want to capitalize on it as frequently as possible....besides it's uncomfortable doing the one ear thing.

Thanks everyone. Also...anyone have contact info. on the SWA Houston CA that offers discounts through the flight school? Take it easy.

Hooch said:
Gotta agree with Catus & hr2eternity with the whole QC2 / uflymike combo. Two thumbs up!

Got to fly with a guy the other day that had the same setup. Did the "poor mans hot mike" with rubberbands. Best three day ever...no ear ringing after flight...no horse voice from shouting.

Hooch

Hey Hooch

What actually is the "poor mans hot mike"?? Do you mean you put the rubberbands around the PTT for the intercom?

I flew with a guy that bought the Telex 850 ANR, but it only works (in the 747) when he keys the mic. Do you keep the mic hot with the intercom??

Thanks
Mick

T45Flyer said:
Wow,
Not sure how you slipped through the cracks. That POS flying corndog will be here for many years, probably longer than you with that attitude. You better get use to it. Please inform the guys you fly with your insightful thoughts in the -300, I am sure they will agree.

And back to the origional thread, the Telex is very nice, low maintenance, and lighter that the Seinheiser. A Houston Captain named Debbie sells them to SWA employee's for a great discount from her flight school.

I don't think SWAPoolie is actually in the pool or at SWA, I think the name is just to antagonize the group if I am not mistaken.

The -300 is an antiquated piece. I and every captain I fly with hate the -300 and much prefer the -700. Except the over 50 crowd, of course.

Last edited:
I have been flying both of them for about a year now and there isn't a pilot in the system who prefers to see the -300 pulling in over the -700.

Despite the monetary history of the -300 the -700 is a superior piece of equipment.

SWAPoolie is right on.

Well I flew "all of them" for several years and let me tell ya....... on a sunny day short hop there's nothing better than a -200.

BTW - the Telex 5x5 is great. Are you not hearing yourself (a sidetone issue) or are the other people commenting on poor transmition quality? Careful with the uflymike kit. If you're an FO you'll choke to death on the cord. The only plug for the adapter/cords is on the left side of the headset. And if your battery runs down you can't hear a darn thing. It NEEDS to have a dead battery filter or something so you can at least hear ATC in that event.

Gup

GuppyWN,

The regular Bose X only loses ANR when the battery dies. You can still hear ATC and it's still very quiet. It's definitely a better headset than the uflymike thing. However, it's a bit heavier.

Cactus73 said:
This is one of the best solutions for the 737 on the market. You can hear the guy next to you without any problems. On deadheads or at the hotel the headseat is perfect for your IPOD or laptop.

The only thing is that it isn't FAA approved so you may want to throw the earpiece set in the bottom of your flight case in the event that you get a linecheck.

Also, for FO's like me, you have to wear the mike on the left side so the cord will come across your body from the jack. It was strange at first but now I don't even notice it.

I don't know why we don't get our airlines to install hot mike intercoms in the airplane. It would be a lot safer if both pilots wore headsets. The 737 is a loud airplane and I don't want to be deaf at 50 like half the guys I fly with.

Wait a second... the 737 doesn't have an intercom between the pilots? I train in an alarus and even that thing has a good intercom.
What gives? is it all 737's? or just some?

Zinger said:
Would those folks using the Bose (Quiet Comfort 2 and boom mic.) mind commenting on what percentage of the time they're able to cover up both ears while flying....and still hear the CA? If investing in what is obviously a fine product, one would want to capitalize on it as frequently as possible....besides it's uncomfortable doing the one ear thing.

Thanks everyone. Also...anyone have contact info. on the SWA Houston CA that offers discounts through the flight school? Take it easy.

Zinger,

I always keep both ears covered. The only time I have trouble hearing is when the Captain is talking while turned towards their window or if they mumble. And in these cases, I usually have trouble hearing them even without a headset.

I think you actually hear better with both ears covered as the ANR will filter out the background/wind noise and you can clearly hear the CA's voice.

You also may have trouble hearing someone on the jumpseat...but this is sometimes a good thing. Now that we have CASS and are carrying off line pilots, all they ever want to talk about is the merger and it gets old. I just use the headset excuse and keep quite!

Latest resources

Back