Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain X

Who is John Galt?
What kind of performance do y'all get from that thing?

Rate-of-climb?

Climb speed profile?

MMO/VMO?

Max. Op. Alt.?

Normal segment length?

Longest segment?

Can you do it all when you're heavy?

X

As you know rate of climb varies, I have climbed to 350 in 18 minutes with a full airplane about 106,000 lbs

At 10,000 the climb profile is about 307kts indicated this is usually set by the FMS, cruise .76 for best fuel econ fuel burn at alt is less than 6000 lbs per hour.

340/.82 is vmo/mmo

370 max alt the limiting factor for certification was the outflow valves.
generally you need a weight of less than 97,000 lbs to get that high. 310 and 330 are the most popular alt when we are heavy.

avg. segment at Airtran is 1.5 longest is 2.5 phl to fll thats actual flight time.

hope this helps

Fletch

Do you ever find yourself saying "I wish this thing performed better." , or are you relatively satisfied with it?

If it's performance could be improved, what would be your top 3 changes?

X

Higher, Faster, Longer range in that order. Then it would be the MD-90

Fletch

I came out of business jets, and the B717 performs right along with your "average" bizjet, whatever that means.

Most takeoffs use de-rated power, usually a 12% derate, sometimes 18%. Occasionally, full power (18,500# * 2) is required, but usually a 12% derate is adequate. Accceleration is brisk- for a full-power take-off, make sure to secure loose items in the cockpit, like your Jepps binder and the bag with your lunch in it . . . . . Otherwise, they will definitely be going places. . . . usually to that place under your seat that you can't reach without getting up . . . .

Average initial ROC varies from 2500 fpm to 4000 fpm at 250 KIAS. Climb profile is set by the FMS, but changes to approx 303 KIAS. It will adjust it for winds, if you enter them in the FMS- it will take the higher groundspeed with headwind, and climb harder with a tailwind. PAssing through mach crossover (around FL260) you may only see 700 fpm, but that is typical for all the jets I have flown, improving again as you reach the cooler air. Of course, the best rate of climb you will see will be attained approx. 1000' to level off . . . . . but that goes without saying.

Yes, I too would like to see a higher service ceiling for the airplane, but I am very happy with its performance. It is certainly no pig, that's for sure . . . plenty of power, combined with the MD11 avionics suite makes it an enjoyable airplane to fly . . . .plus the A/C (air conditioning) works very well, which is very important when you are ATL based!

All in all, I have very few complaints about this aircraft- it does what it is designed to do. Nothing is perfect, but this one ain't too shabby.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
I came out of business jets, and the B717 performs right along with your "average" bizjet, whatever that means.

No offense, but the BizJets you have listed in your profile: "Westwind, Falcon 20 and Sabre" are all pigs when it comes to performance...

The Falcon was a pig, it's true, but the Westwind isn't a pig at the weights we were operating it at, it was often close to a LR35 in terms of thrust-to-weight, and the Sabre was better than that.

The Sabre 80 had the highest thrust-to-weight ratio of any of the Sabreliners, and I recall seeing 6000 fpm initial climb rate out of Tampa on an 80 degree day. . . . . If that's a pig to you, than man, I guess I must resign myself to flying pigs most of my career.

Sqeeaaallllll!

Last edited:
ok, ok... you didn't say which Sabre!... The sabres with the GE CF-700 were major pigs...

LOL...

anyhow, my record:

Lear 35 time to climb:
650ft to FL 180 (@250 kts) = 1 min 58 sec

Pat
We get scheduled block time or higher and we have a 4 hour minimum per day. Some days we only fly 1 or 2 legs. So the faster you can get it done the better, and Sometimes you just want it to be finished.

Fletch

Sabres with the CF-700

ok, ok... you didn't say which Sabre!... The sabres with the GE CF-700 were major pigs...

The Sabre 80 did have the CF-700. The 40s were pretty spry as well.

Swimmer

Latest resources

Back