B6 to Sell FIVE A-320s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FDJ2 said:
...wouldn't you agree that having representation onboard, to prevent unilateral imposition of terms, would be a good thing?

NO. Representation means I don't have direct contact with management. It means no real voice. Representatives, no matter how well intended, do not speak adequately for me.

15 year pin at ALPA - those dues bought me a contract that doesn't apply to me anymore. It didn't save my pension, it didn't even protect my job. At least now, I can have an audience with anyone, anytime I please. The doors are open. I take charge of my own issues, they get heard, and acted upon.

Unilateral imposition of terms? No worries!! If they impose some new rule on me, how is that any different??? I don't have to pay for it!!!

starvingredtail said:
This 190 situation is running along the same "track". Q2,3,4 anticipated profit for a net loss in 06 with all of 07 anticipated in profit. This is not short term thinking.

FlyI had an anticipated profit in '07, fwiw....

longhorn said:
My point as to scope is that we, being jetblue as a whole, (crap, I am sounding like a lawyer now) dont farm out our flying or contract with regionals to do the express or smaller market service. We do it ourselves. Not that there is anything wrong with the regionals, I was there, but the company has decided to keep it all under one roof and we like it that way.

What if you, being jetblue as a whole, decides to farm out 50 seat-100 seat flying to CHQ or some other place that can do it for even less....? Who will stop it?

"Look guys, we'd REALLY like you to do the flying here at jetblue, but it's just tooooo expensive... we can do it for cheaper using XYZ or you could match their rates and we can keep it in house."

I admire jetblue's relationship with their employees. They do seem to have a good thing going. Do remember, however, jetblue is not a jobs program. It doesn't exist for the sake of employing people. It exists to make money for the owners (shareholders), nothing else.

3BCat said:
NO. Representation means I don't have direct contact with management. It means no real voice. Representatives, no matter how well intended, do not speak adequately for me.

So you believe in each pilot negotiating individually versus collectively with their management, each pilot resolving issues individually vs collectively, each pilot deciding individually vs collectively when they'll give the company relief on certain items?

Ok...I think the answer to all of this is we have to all agree to disagree. I think that would solve all of this. All the discussion on here wont change many of our minds, but actions will. We will have to just see what happens. Ok, I am off to the beach for the afternoon...theres a cold beer waiting for for me somewhere!!!

bluejuice787 said:
I seriously doubt JP4user ever served one day in the service.

Maybe...maybe not. Either way a very assinine assumption to make given the fact that I believe you are whoring the profession to clean airplanes. But when you look at the types applying over there in Smurfville that are satisfied to fly for those 190 rates, anything is possible.

JP4user said:
Maybe...maybe not. Either way a very assinine assumption to make given the fact that I believe you are whoring the profession to clean airplanes. But when you look at the types applying over there in Smurfville that are satisfied to fly for those 190 rates, anything is possible.

Assumption yes, assinine no. Your attitude and tone are suspect when it comes to military bearing (no offence to non military types as this can be learned any place) and this easily leads to the assumption I made. You want handouts and we make things happen.

I know I can't convince you that JetBlue is a good company to work for, but maybe I can help you understand why I choose the E-190 even with the pay rates. I originally wanted to work for UPS, but for some reason that job never happened. I had a real good friend that had been trying to get me to apply to JetBlue for several years. I finnally relented and was hired. I made the assumption several years ago that first year pay at any airline was going to be painful and saved money for the time when me and my family would take the financial hit. At UPS I was expecting a first year pay of $26000 at JetBlue I am expecting $35,000. At UPS second year pay would be $54,000 or $80,000 depending on the ability to upgrade from flight engineer to First Officer. At the time I was applying with UPS I probably would have been a Flight Engineer for about two years and roughly the same pay. That is only a guess not an exact upgrade time. Might be shorter. Might be longer. At JetBlue I am guessing I will upgrade in 12 to 14 months and my pay should be roughly $75,000 to $80,000 a year. But like I said that is only a guess. Might be shorter. Might be longer. And after about five years my pay should go to about $120,000 to $130,000 a year depending on my ability to upgrade to the Airbus. Again the time frame might be shorter or it might be longer. Anyways I'm getting long here. My point is that "for the first couple of years" JetBlue is financially a better company for me. There may be some things that I haven't thought about in my calculations, but they are some of the reasons I use to support the reason I came to JetBlue. I also believe that this shows we are not the only one with low pay rates "initially".

Latest resources

Back