B6 to Sell FIVE A-320s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DN2WN,
Where do you get a loss in the 4Q? We are already projected to profitable in Q234. Yes things change but that info was based on performance and projections BEFORE any selling of the aircraft.

Desperate times require desperate measures...thats all many of you seem to see in all this.

Innovative ideas are always controversial when you first hear them. I heard about the plan to sell aircraft as they age. I heard it years ago. Its part of their business plan. The fact that Wall street likes it now is fine with me.

Thats just one more thing to love about JetBlue. They have a plan; a long term plan. When was the last time your management talked about 2012 to your pilot group? For that matter, when was the last time your management talked to you?

The plan hasn't changed. JetBlue is changing according to plan.

Just my opinion, but I don't see JB going anywhere.

Neeleman isn't an idiot... he wouldn't be doing this without good hard financial data that proves it to be a good idea.

The rest of us brainstorming about prices of originally-purchased aircraft, rates of leases, and sales prices amounts to jack squat. What's important is that they take their EXISTING aircraft, re-deploy them on more profitable routes, and do so with the future deliveries.

All of which is above our pay grade anyway... :)

DH2WN said:
What facts? It's all opinion and speculation. The only fact is they are selling 5 aircraft after only being in circulation for 5 or so years because revenue isn't covering their costs and cash is precious.

They will show a profit in the next two quarters due to this short term correction but you will see a loss in the last quarter and for the year. The two fleet types long terms costs are going to start catching up when pilots start bidding in and out of the two types. I imagine it hasn't happened yet on a large scale. DN can see into the future and it doesn't look good without a major correction on his stupid decision to start regional flying a la Midway and Independence Air. B6 will live but the next 5 years are going to be pain, pain and more pain as they lose money and other work groups start to unionize. You will then see DN's true colors surface and the Blue Aid will be well worn off. That's my opinion and speculation based on the facts and opinions of DN from the Morris Air guys who apparently had an awful time working for the guy.
The factual track record is the fact that the 320 pay started low and a pay raise came based on input from the pilot group. This 190 situation is running along the same "track". Q2,3,4 anticipated profit for a net loss in 06 with all of 07 anticipated in profit. This is not short term thinking. Have your hatefest if you wish, its a free country but lets deal in facts. I am pretty sure the entire indusrty will be dealing with pain, pain, pain for the next 5 years because of oil uncertainty and management having the upper hand with labor. I think I already know DN's true colors and they are nothing like Doug Steenland's.

starvingredtail said:
Have your hatefest if you wish.....I think I already know DN's true colors and.....
Taking this all a little personally aren't you. Sorry your company has to take drastic measures in the face of millions in losses but your "hate fest" (spelled correctly) comment is way off base. I have more friends at B6 then you have friends. I want them to succeed and fulfill a long career. However, in my opinion, B6's financial success is bleak and the selling of 5 aircraft is a just line in the blueprint of financial disaster.

You can anticipate all you want that doesn't make it fact. Companies always project positive news. I wonder why. Duh! You should probably put down the USA Today and pick up a WSJ and learn something about quarterly projections from corporations.

The facts of the case are simple and you don't like it. Too bad.

Last edited:
DH2WN said:
Companies always project positive news. I wonder why. Duh! You should probably put down the USA Today and pick up a WSJ and learn something about quarterly projections from corporations.

I doubt Jamie Baker reads USA Today and he certainly doesn't drink the blue "cool-aid".
Later...:beer:

Longhorn said:
Cancer jet?
Now....you have us. We decided not to contract out our flying to keep the brand in check, keep it on the property and keep the moral of the group up as it is US that is doing the flying, not xyz express. We have eliminated the "scope" issue as well as other hot topics that other majors deal with when it comes to their regionals.

Just to be clear, YOU haven't decided anything. You have no say in who flies the E190 or any other jet at JBLU. You haven't eliminated the scope issue, it is a non issue, since management can dictate the terms of employment and dictate pay rates. You have no CBA, no representation and you're an at will employee.

Now JBLU might be a fine airline to work for, cabin cleaning aside, but the fact remains that few airlines have a business plan that includes selling aircraft when they are 5 years young just to avoid a "C" check, while they simultaneously take delivery of new aircraft.

FDJ2 said:
Now JBLU might be a fine airline to work for, cabin cleaning aside, but the fact remains that few airlines have a business plan that includes selling aircraft when they are 5 years young just to avoid a "C" check, while they simultaneously take delivery of new aircraft.

"We'll get rid of the airplanes before we have to pay to maintain them.....BRILLIANT!"

I wonder why nobody else has thought of that?

FDJ2 said:
Just to be clear, YOU haven't decided anything. You have no say in who flies the E190 or any other jet at JBLU. You haven't eliminated the scope issue, it is a non issue, since management can dictate the terms of employment and dictate pay rates. You have no CBA, no representation and you're an at will employee.

I am simply talking about the track record of our mgnt. They have held their end of the deal up for us so why would we want to go out and seek representation? The overall majority of pilots here want nothing to do with a union. We, and I include myself, have all seen what unions can do for your company. If a union ever was even discussed, it would be in-house, not alpa. I use the word WE because so far it has not been an US vs THEM attitude. We are all on the same page. mgnt for the most part discuss plans with the employee groups before making a change. Now there has been a few things that have not gone over very well, the 190 rates and health costs for example, but other than that we have had a say in our company. My point as to scope is that we, being jetblue as a whole, (crap, I am sounding like a lawyer now) dont farm out our flying or contract with regionals to do the express or smaller market service. We do it ourselves. Not that there is anything wrong with the regionals, I was there, but the company has decided to keep it all under one roof and we like it that way. I just think its funny how people who dont work here think they know anything about the workings of our company, the pilot contract or anything else that involves the inside of our company. Thats not ment to offend, its just the truth. I just laugh when some of the same guys from other airlines show up for the jumpseat and suddenly have nothing but great things to say about us, the contact, our plans and company then turn around on here and spout off on how we are going belly up in 5 and we all work for slave wages. I know since I have seen it first hand. Its sad

Latest resources

Back