Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B58 settings and checklist needed desperately.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
Anyone have basic settings for a B58 for climb, cruise, descent, etc. Maybe a SimCom/FS checklist or two? Tips, tricks, or gotchas?

I have a last minute B58 trip tomorrow, I get to fly the first (very long) leg, and I don't wanna look like a complete idiot (I know ... fat chance, huh? :D).

Danke ...

Minhberg

Last edited:
Here is some good information on the B58. Enjoy your trip, and remember to keep it subsonic while over the continental US!
Wish I could go along! :D

(If you ever decide to take a step down into the BE-58, Here's a good checkout manual.)

Thanks VERY much guys! Perfect!

(The Hustler link was LMAO too, BTW. :D)

Minh
(Currently studying my @$$ off for the rest of the day.)

I flew a 1984 58 Baron quite a bit. I also flew a 58P a little bit. This is for the 58:

To start it, all the levers forward, fuel pump on high for the left engine, let the fuel flow peak, pump off, throttle to mid-range, crank the left side, and retard the throttle as it starts. Left ALT on, repeat for the right side.

For the runup, remember 2200, 1700, 1500 for the Props, Mags, and Feather.

Right after takeoff, coming through about 200 or 300 AGL, I would back the props off of redline to quiet things down.

A good cruise power setting is 23 InHg/2300 RPM or full throttle up high with 2300 RPM.

Chris

chriskcmo said:
I flew a 1984 58 Baron quite a bit. I also flew a 58P a little bit. This is for the 58:

To start it, all the levers forward, fuel pump on high for the left engine, let the fuel flow peak, pump off, throttle to mid-range, crank the left side, and retard the throttle as it starts. Left ALT on, repeat for the right side.

For the runup, remember 2200, 1700, 1500 for the Props, Mags, and Feather.

Right after takeoff, coming through about 200 or 300 AGL, I would back the props off of redline to quiet things down.

A good cruise power setting is 23 InHg/2300 RPM or full throttle up high with 2300 RPM.

Chris

Sounds like good #'s.

Snakum said:
Anyone have basic settings for a B58 for climb, cruise, descent, etc. Maybe a SimCom/FS checklist or two? Tips, tricks, or gotchas?

I have a last minute B58 trip tomorrow, I get to fly the first (very long) leg, and I don't wanna look like a complete idiot (I know ... fat chance, huh? :D).

Danke ...

Minhberg

Oh yeah!! Make sure that the DOOR IS CLOSED in the front. You may say "I think that I would not forget to close the door". But, I know 2 guys and myself that have had those @#$%ing doors come open. SO check it like 3 times. Anyway, keep her right side up!!

the 58 is so basic.....here is what i used to do for settings

full power takeoff.....
1000ft cruise climb 25/25 man/rpm
cruise settings whatever I could get for manifold and 2300rpms 15 gph ff
descent bring it back anywhere between 15 and 20 inches for power and leave the rpm at 2300.

as for checklist, there will be one in the plane i would suspect. Just follow it.

I rarely used full flaps to land that thing. Approach flaps is enough. I could go home and type up the Simcom checklist if you would like....

Lrjtcaptain said:
the 58 is so basic.....here is what i used to do for settings

full power takeoff.....
1000ft cruise climb 25/25 man/rpm
cruise settings whatever I could get for manifold and 2300rpms 15 gph ff
descent bring it back anywhere between 15 and 20 inches for power and leave the rpm at 2300.

as for checklist, there will be one in the plane i would suspect. Just follow it.

I rarely used full flaps to land that thing. Approach flaps is enough. I could go home and type up the Simcom checklist if you would like....

Thats right about the flaps. I never used full flaps. Approach flaps are fine to use when landing.

They do land nicer with half flaps. We always cruised our 58's at 2400 rpm and 24 inches or full throttle, whichever was less. the IO-520's would burn 15 GPH/side and the IO-550's would burn about 17.

Latest resources

Back