B.S. in Aero Science...required?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude,

Do yourself a favor and do not follow 9rj9's advise above.(LOL) Been there done that and guess what, I'm back flying and loving life. Get a degree in somthing other than aviation that you enjoy and can live with. We are all just one trip to the Dr. away from having our wings clipped. Enjoy flying while you can. If you can't someday you owe it to your family and yourself to have a backup plan. Cheers.

KlingonLRDRVR

to answer the question about whether the military guys have to have a 4 year degree. short answer is yes. 99% of military pilots have a 4 year degree(my guess but probably pretty close). there are a few cats and dogs that did different programs (navcad, which is no more) that might not. but by and large, every Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marine pilot (or NFO for that matter) has a 4 year degree before even starting flight training.
army is a different story though. I don't think they require it but since most of their guys are helo, they usually have to go thru a commuter prior go getting to a major to get the fixed wing expereince. army is the only service that lets warrant officers be pilots, thus the difference in requirement i presume.

Meteorology...

I recommend getting the Meteorology degree. It's close enough to aviation to be a definite asset, yet different enough to show some diversity. I want to get a degree in Meteorolgy myself, hopefully within the next year I'll begin.
As far as Airlines requiring a specific degree, I highly doubt it. Like Bobbysamd said, an accredited BA or BS will be enough.
I'm not sure of FIT's program, but if it looks promising go for it, flying and getting your degree at the same time is the way to go, good luck!

check your private messages

Jarhead

Latest resources

Back