Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Just pondering a little something on the 'common sense front....

I recently saw a commercial for the B-787 Dreamliner on TV. I'd just like to know why the talking heads a Boeing decided that it would be smart to spend a few million bucks on a dam TV commercial for a B-787?? How f-cking stupid can you be? What a WASTE! Do they think that some dude is going to be sitting in his La-Z-Boy watching TV with his beer, see the commercial, and want to go out and buy one????

"Dammit Ethyl!! Brang me da checkbook!! I wants me one of them thar Dreemliyners!! Whar thu hell is da 800 numuh ya call to orders one?"

Does anyone else see any common sense in spending a few million dollars on a TV ad campaign for the 787? Or do you think, like me, that it is a big f-cking waste of money?

Must be some airline managers running the show there.

...maybe they are trying to get people excited about flying again. "Look at how nice this plane is! Bigger seats, nicer amenities, etc. You'll love to fly again!"
Maybe something along those lines...I doubt they were trying to bring in sales by showing it.

T-Gates said:
Mabye they want to sell some more stock....

There's the answer. It's to make people aware of the exciting projects that Boeing is involved in and encourage investors to look at the company. It also raises the overall positive perception of the company.

We pilots always complain when some idiot gets on the news and spouts off about something they know little or nothing about. Maybe we need to take a little of our own advice.

CapnVegetto said:
Does anyone else see any common sense in spending a few million dollars on a TV ad campaign for the 787? Or do you think, like me, that it is a big f-cking waste of money?

It's called Public Relations. If it's done right, it's worth it's money threefold.

Boeing has to do a LOT of damage control. Right now a lot of people think of bribing, corporate criminals and Execs banging their secretaries when they hear that name.

Everett Howe said:
It's called Public Relations. If it's done right, it's worth it's money threefold.QUOTE]

BINGO!

Definitely important to keep a buzz going about a new product. I also wonder if Boeing isn't still looking for some suppliers and whatnot for production. Boeing did have a pretty large competition about 2 years ago for the site of final 787 assembly. Those sorts of projects have a lot of worth to Boeing's bottom line (in terms of reduced taxes and other incentives) and I could see Boeing trying to keep their name in front of people in order to try to get some more give-backs.

Latest resources

Back