• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

B-52

SIG600

Total Time
Someone farted.

Not a B-52 guy, but I would guess it's a required preventative measure in case that refueling boom gets away and breaks something.

CFI2766

Total Time
The cockpit is smaller than I thought it would be

Entropy

Total Time
5000+
I flew KC-135's, so that makes me an expert on B-52's.

Sig is correct in that they are wearing O2 masks in case of a possible depressurization. Also, they are sitting in an ejection seat. A high altitude ejection may involve a long free fall in thin air. There is a bail out bottle inside the parachute pack which provides O2 on the way down. If I recall corrctly the chute will open at approximately 14,000 ft. Hope this helps...

atpcliff

Total Time
Hi!

I think ALL mil pilots have O2 masks (except helo guys). Even the KC-135 guys brought masks on each flight, and sometimes they have to use them. They also get parachutes, and they were used on at least one flight.

cliff
NBO

Last edited:

AvroGuy

Total Time
>3000
E-3 has airline style quick don masks...well 1970's quick don masks

Lynxman

Total Time
That's awesome I didn't know they had ejection seats in the B-52. Thanks guys

bagasticks

fist fornicator
Total Time
>1
E-3 has airline style quick don masks...well 1970's quick don masks

we have those on the gas-wagon too although we have to bring our helmets just incase we have to bail out (without parachutes mind you, they ditched those in the name of fuel savings, i am told)

AvroGuy

Total Time
>3000
we have those on the gas-wagon too although we have to bring our helmets just incase we have to bail out (without parachutes mind you, they ditched those in the name of fuel savings, i am told)
When I was in the E-3 we still had check the bail out chute to see if it was serviced. No chutes or helmets though. Like you said, in the intrest of fuel savings

T-1GUY

Total Time
4000+
Sometimes the bad guys try and punch holes in your airplane as well...

B52GUNNER

Total Time
Yeah it's pressurized to 7.45 psi normal, OR 4.5 psi for Combat, but you have to wear the helmet for T/O & Land, Aerial Refueling, Low level flight. With the helmet on all you have for a mic is the O2 mask, So if you want to talk and have both hands full you have to have to O2 mask connected. During A/R you have to have to O2 regulator in On and Normal so you can smell if there are any fuel leaks. All other times above 12000 feet it is usually in on and 100%. In high altitude cruise flight, if the pressure holds to below 12ooo ft you can use a headset. Wich comes in mighty handy on one of those 16+ hour flights.

Favorite thing to hear on the BUFF....Right closed traffic approved full stop. Throttles idle, airbrakes 6, Drag chute deploy.

B52GUNNER

Total Time
It also helps out in the tight quarters when someone uses the Toilet...Well the plastic bag inside the DI seat.

Pervis

Total Time
12000+
That's awesome I didn't know they had ejection seats in the B-52. Thanks guys

The guys in the pit really have to nice to their AC. Punching at low level can be a real issue if the jet is flying straight and level.

dougdrvr

Total Time
The guys in the pit really have to nice to their AC. Punching at low level can be a real issue if the jet is flying straight and level.
So during "nap of the earth" ops, you're just screwed? Or on take off?

SIG600

Total Time
Yeah it's pressurized to 7.45 psi normal, OR 4.5 psi for Combat, but you have to wear the helmet for T/O & Land, Aerial Refueling, Low level flight. With the helmet on all you have for a mic is the O2 mask, So if you want to talk and have both hands full you have to have to O2 mask connected. During A/R you have to have to O2 regulator in On and Normal so you can smell if there are any fuel leaks. All other times above 12000 feet it is usually in on and 100%. In high altitude cruise flight, if the pressure holds to below 12ooo ft you can use a headset. Wich comes in mighty handy on one of those 16+ hour flights.

Favorite thing to hear on the BUFF....Right closed traffic approved full stop. Throttles idle, airbrakes 6, Drag chute deploy.

you guys use LOX or some other bottled o2, or do you have a generation system on board?

B52GUNNER

Total Time
There are three 25 litre 300psi LOX Converters on board. Two are in left aft and the other is in the right aft. The left side provides supply to the left side crew and the right side provides supply to the right side crew. the third is there for a backup and will provide O2 to all stations.

Any other questions? I have the T.O. 1B-52G-1 Also have a -14 for the Gunners position. I don't have the Nav stuff.

ultrarunner

Total Time
I have always been fascinated by the B52. The first one I ever saw and walked up to was at MCO, and that was when it was on a stick in front of the original terminal, right along the beeline. I think it might still be on that stick.

Anyway, are just the H's still in service, or other models?

B52GUNNER

Total Time
The D,F,& G had Quad .50 G model was ASG-15 fire control system. D model was the MD-9 FCS. H model had 20mm Vulcan cannon ASG-21 FCS I think. I just flew on G models. All the Guns are gone now.

All G models are in the Boneyard, Scrap heap, or Static display. H Models are still flying.